Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Need a 6-line wrasse OUT! (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67886)

ner'T' 09-09-2010 01:11 AM

Need a 6-line wrasse OUT!

Any ideas how to remove this hell-fish?

It nearly killed my firefish, (I moved it to the sump and it recovered). Today I came home to a dead clown on the floor... Its been chasing and nipping them.

I tried a #22 hook and line and it wont take the bait. Anyone have luck trapping wrasses?

Thanks for any input

ottoman 09-09-2010 01:23 AM

It is almost impossible to catch with rock-scape in place. I tried to catch goby, you think they are slow swimmer comparing to wrasse, but no luck. I am looking if anyone can lend me a fish trap. Good luck.

eguld 09-09-2010 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ner'T' (Post 547019)

It nearly killed my firefish, (I moved it to the sump and it recovered). Today I came home to a dead clown on the floor... Its been chasing and nipping them.

I tried a #22 hook and line and it wont take the bait. Anyone have luck trapping wrasses?

Thanks for any input

I wish you all the best in getting the wrasse out but you will probably need to remove everything first.

In my 14G biocube the wrasse was the last thing I was able to catch and I only caught him once the tank was empty.

You might want to look carefully to see if anything is stressing the wrasse out, my wrasse acts up only when water quality gets bad or the anemone expands too much and mines in a 14G tank.

banditpowdercoat 09-09-2010 01:41 AM

Ya I had a checkerboard wrasse, called him Wr******* LOL And he was

ner'T' 09-09-2010 01:58 AM

hmm...

This isn't very encouraging.

Thanks for the great name, you have coined "Wrassehole 2.0"

apexifd 09-09-2010 02:03 AM

Luckily my six line hasn't harass anyone yet... But it is only been in the tank for few days...

paddyob 09-09-2010 02:13 AM

Ouch

I am glad... that for the last year... my six line and clown pair have lived quite peacefully together in my 20.

Fast fish. HARD to catch. Agree that tank tear down is probably the only chance. Traps might work... but might catch other fish too.

Have fun and good luck!

daniella3d 09-09-2010 02:41 AM

I don,t know if this will work for you but I have a checkerboard wrasse that was a terror to my other fishes (except my mandarins) and when ever he would not behave I would just shot off the light and he goes in the sand to sleep when ever the light goes off. That way I could punish him and make him go in the sand if he would not behave. He got the message quickly.

If you have sand and if your wrasse like to go hide deep in the sand for the night, this could be a way to cool him down. Of course it is only good if you are there to watch and discipline the fish.

They are wicked fast and intelligent, so hard to catch.

with so many people having a nightmare of a time catching fish, I have no idea why there is no good fish trap yet commercialized.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ner'T' (Post 547019)

Thanks for any input

daniella3d 09-09-2010 02:44 AM

Yours was aggressive too? I was wondering if my checkerboard was behaving normaly as I have read everywhere that they are very peacefull fish, but mine was a little devil before I got the tric of shutting down the light when he's not behaving.

Quote:

Originally Posted by banditpowdercoat (Post 547028)
Ya I had a checkerboard wrasse, called him Wr******* LOL And he was

Blackice 09-09-2010 02:54 AM

I had a Domino Damsel, now there is a PITA fish. Couldn't even put my hand in the tank with out having Domino teeth sunk into it.

I cut the top off a 2 liter clear soda bottle, attached fishing line around the edge in 4 places (comes up straight when you pull it) placed all food inside. Lowered it and let it sit. All other fish would go in and eat EXCEPT the PITA.

I left the bottle in the tank pulled it up and added food during feeding time. Sometimes my Nasso Tang would go in suck up a bunch of food, come out of the bottle and spit it out so the Domino would eat. Couldn't figure this one out as the Nasso was the one getting harrased the most.

After 2 months of nothing I was contemplating tearing down my 180G reef to get the jack*** out. I happend to walk by the tank in time to see the Domino head into the bottle. BAM!! no more Domino.

Good luck!!