Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Sand! SOS (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=64572)

dynamite 05-18-2010 05:26 AM

Sand! SOS

Im tired of my sugar size sand blowing everywhere. So I've decided to change my sandbed.
I have a 90g tank that will only house SPS corals and 2 vortech pumps, so I need lots of flow. I want the sand to stick to the ground but not big enough to be a detritus trap and BB is not an option kuz it looks unnatural :mrgreen: Any suggestions???

Thanks in advance.

Mauricio.

OceanicCorals-Eugene- 05-18-2010 07:33 AM

caribsea special grade sand works well for me with high flow that is (3x modded 6055 in a 30g and they arent getting blown around)

Douglas 05-18-2010 10:55 AM

Remove the sand, go bare bottom. Then you'll never have an issue.

gobytron 05-18-2010 02:44 PM

other than how ugly it looks....
:lol:

dynamite 05-18-2010 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gobytron (Post 519780)
other than how ugly it looks....
:lol:

LOL :mrgreen: That's why I don't feel like going BB... it looks soo unnatural and unappealing :cry: I love my aquascape with sand.. it looks just like a beach :mrgreen:

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g7...0/DSC00194.jpg

Any other suggestions?

I have 2 vortechs and I need lots of flow.. and it seems like caribsea special grade sand is winning so far LOL (Thanks Oceanic-Corals)

kien 05-18-2010 09:48 PM

That's weird because all accounts that I've heard about the vortechs suggest that the flow out the powerhead is so gentle that sand blasting wasn't an issue. In fact, someone had a shallow tank of 12 inches while running a vortech and said that sand blasting wasn't a concern for them. It looks to me like your vortech is pretty high up and it still blasts the sand? So maybe just try a heavier grain of sand?

dynamite 05-18-2010 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 519850)
That's weird because all accounts that I've heard about the vortechs suggest that the flow out the powerhead is so gentle that sand blasting wasn't an issue. In fact, someone had a shallow tank of 12 inches while running a vortech and said that sand blasting wasn't a concern for them. It looks to me like your vortech is pretty high up and it still blasts the sand? So maybe just try a heavier grain of sand?

Yes Kien, if I keep my vortechs at its 50% I won't have any trouble however I feel like there's no enough flow!! LOL (maybe it's just me :lol:)

I test my tank's flow with my hand :mrgreen: and like I said, it seems like there's no enough flow.. but this may be inaccurate :neutral:

So I don't know what to do.. I want lots of flow for my SPS :cry:

kien 05-18-2010 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dynamite (Post 519861)
Yes Kien, if I keep my vortechs at its 50% I won't have any trouble however I feel like there's no enough flow!! LOL (maybe it's just me :lol:)

I test my tank's flow with my hand :mrgreen: and like I said, it seems like there's no enough flow.. but this may be inaccurate :neutral:

So I don't know what to do.. I want lots of flow for my SPS :cry:

Well, then it sounds like the obvious solution is for you to buy two more Vortechs and run them all at 50%. Problem solved. :lol:

dynamite 05-18-2010 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 519864)
Well, then it sounds like the obvious solution is for you to buy two more Vortechs and run them all at 50%. Problem solved. :lol:

LOOL I wish xD 2 are enough for my tank, but I hate the fact that they're only running at its 50% :twised: urggggg... I need a solution... In the next couple days LOL

Werbo 05-18-2010 11:37 PM

I have 2 MP40s in a standard 120. I use caribsea special grade sand and I have no sand storms and it stays put. Rinse it well...