Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Who's shutting down the Tank for Earth Hour Saturday (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=62705)

wayner 03-26-2010 04:26 PM

Who's shutting down the Tank for Earth Hour Saturday

Who's shutting down the Tank for Earth Hour Saturday

banditpowdercoat 03-26-2010 04:34 PM

Not me!

Parker 03-26-2010 04:38 PM

I was thinking of doing my 3-day lights off ritual during that time...

sphelps 03-26-2010 04:44 PM

I would do it if the city was more behind it but I'm turning off my stuff including my aquarium if the city won't turn off the street lights. I just don't see the point of a few random houses shutting off the lights. It would be cool if the whole city just shut down for an hour but I suppose that would cause more problems than anything.

justinl 03-26-2010 04:58 PM

I honestly can't see the point in events like these. So a bunch of peiple save some energy for ONE HOUR and pat themselves on the back. Well woopdeedoo. Instead I encourage people to just be mindful on a daily basis. If you don't need the car, go for a walk or bike. Carpool. Turn off the lights behind you. Etc etc. It really doesn't take huge changes in your daily life to a bit more green.

so will I be doing anything special for earth day like shutting down the tank? No. But i'll take the bus to work, shut off lights behind me and do all the little things I normally do.

OceanicCorals-Eugene- 03-26-2010 05:31 PM

i once read a study that had said it takes more power to turn on light then it does to keep it lite. Im interested to see how much is actually saved during earth hour and how much is wasted to turn all the lights on. But of course those numbers wont be shown::neutral:

Tom R 03-26-2010 05:32 PM

If all you are going to do is shut off your lights and or your tank for an hour once a year then you are kidding your self into believing that you are on board with the concept.

Oh ya you probably believe that buying carbon credits to offset your SUV are also helping.

Come on folks it is away more acceptable to just change your habits.
Turning off lights when you leave the room.
Put a timer on your bathroom fan to turn it off 15 minutes after you leave the room. Turn your heat down a degree and wear a sweater as a way of life. Walk to the corner store or walk your kids to school. Take a conscious look for those electronic vampires we have in our homes today and shut them off. I read that 10% of your electrical consumption is through electronic vampires.

This is what Earth Day should be. An annual check up as to how you are contributing to the success of reducing your carbon foot print, on reducing your waste of energy and your contribution to a more sustainable future.

Tom R

hillegom 03-26-2010 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom r (Post 505359)
if all you are going to do is shut off your lights and or your tank for an hour once a year then you are kidding your self into believing that you are on board with the concept.

Oh ya you probably believe that buying carbon credits to offset your suv are also helping.

Come on folks it is away more acceptable to just change your habits.
Turning off lights when you leave the room.
Put a timer on your bathroom fan to turn it off 15 minutes after you leave the room. Turn your heat down a degree and wear a sweater as a way of life. Walk to the corner store or walk your kids to school. Take a conscious look for those electronic vampires we have in our homes today and shut them off. I read that 10% of your electrical consumption is through electronic vampires.

This is what earth day should be. An annual check up as to how you are contributing to the success of reducing your carbon foot print, on reducing your waste of energy and your contribution to a more sustainable future.

Tom r

+1

outacontrol 03-26-2010 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OceanicCorals-Eugene- (Post 505356)
i once read a study that had said it takes more power to turn on light then it does to keep it lite. Im interested to see how much is actually saved during earth hour and how much is wasted to turn all the lights on. But of course those numbers wont be shown::neutral:

this is completely untrue, an incandescent light takes no more energy to turn on than is does to run, an inductive light (metal halide or flourescent) takes a little bit of a peak in energy to start but this only comes into play in cycles of a minute or less. The energy saved in having a light off for 10 or more minutes is way more substantial than the energy to restart it.

and here is an article to support this: http://www.lightingdesignlab.com/art...luorescent.htm

christyf5 03-26-2010 05:56 PM

I might turn my lights off early that night but other than my fish tank I think I'm pretty energy conscious. I'll probably sit around in the dark on saturday night just cuz its fun. However convincing my husband to turn the tv off for an hour could be monumental :razz: