Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Go (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60779)

imcosmokramer 02-02-2010 06:32 PM

Go

check this out

clownfish feeding a damsel to an anemone
________
Los Angeles Dispensary

Chase31 02-02-2010 06:41 PM

took me a sec to really see that, thats cool

Delphinus 02-02-2010 06:50 PM

Bit of a strange video? For one, don't really see much of a feeding response? Although it must be shooting out nematocysts like crazy, the damsel looks torched by the end. The actual act of the fish being pulled into the anemone is over in the first second and then it's two minutes of the damsel just sitting there dieing. We don't see anything leading up to the moment and it makes me wonder how healthy the damsel was beforehand to just be delicately pulled into a bleached sebae and then just lay down and die without seeing any feeding response in the anemone itself.

Plus the setting is totally unnatural looking with the bubblers in the background. :lol:

Does show that clarkii's can be mean little SOB's though!

rstar 02-02-2010 07:33 PM

I wish i could borrow that clowfish!! J/K But seriously I made the mistake of buying a damsel like 3 years ago and have been trying for 2.5 years to get it out of my tank, he's smart as a whip and fast too, and extremely territorial! I would tend to agree that the damsel in the video was likely not doing to well to begin with.

NuraNori 02-02-2010 07:43 PM

Our Clarkii brings his BTA pieces of nori and larger chunks of plankton or mysis. It's really cute :biggrin:

imcosmokramer 02-02-2010 08:14 PM

Go

i had to put a 3 line in a frag tank. within a 3 days it killed a clown and both my banggais
________
affair Cam

untamed 02-02-2010 09:48 PM

That is an odd video. I can't see how any healthy damsel would allow itself to get grabbed by the tail like that.

Also...if it were my tank...I might have stopped videoing and tried to do something to save the fish? IMO, this damsel was deliberately added as food and video'd. I suspect that damsel was in pretty bad shape when it was dropped down toward the nem.

rkelman 02-02-2010 10:53 PM

That Damsel was definitely sick or injured no question. No reason to stop it from happening. It was dead anyways.

Bloodasp 02-02-2010 10:54 PM

Well clownfish are known to lure other fishes in order to feed its host anemone but it's kinda odd that it grabbed the damsel toward the anemone. Though the damsel looked like it was already dying so the clown might have just decided to grab it and feed it to the anemone anyway.

imcosmokramer 02-02-2010 11:14 PM

Go

the other thing is, how else do you explain that they were there to catch it on tape? what are the chances?
________
Legal Marijuana Dispensary