Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   06+ f150 (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59183)

Parker 12-23-2009 03:08 PM

06+ f150

So the time had come to buy a newer truck. The old 92 Ford F150 I have has seen better days but it's the best truck I have ever owned and the Ford Focus I have is the biggest lump I have ever owned. So I have one good Ford and one bad. I'm looking at the 06 and newer F-150 SuperCrews, does anyone here own one? What are your thoughts about it, would you buy it again? I'm wondering where they might fall on the good / bad scale.

Thanks all.
Robb

blueyota 12-23-2009 03:14 PM

most of my family works at automotive shops ...and every one says the only new fords worth buying are the diesels the rest are full of surprises......Not good ones....

dsaundry 12-23-2009 03:15 PM

If its got a 5.4 triton motor I would avoid it like the plague. Worst motor Ford has come out with in ages. Spark plugs will, not can, blow out of the heads, can be extremely expensive to fix. Automatic transmissions aren't the best either.

StirCrazy 12-23-2009 03:21 PM

they are all good, you need to decide what you want to do with it befor you buy it first though. if you eventualy want to get a trailer and go camping a lot buy a deisel now. I personaly don't like the 5.4 as it has a few issues but otherwise not bad..

I had a 4.6 in my 98, my buddy has a 05 and a nother friend has a 07. they love them and haven't had any problems at all.

now I traded mine in opn a 99 F250 diesel.. best move I ever did.. the diesel gets better gas milage than my F150 did, has more power, and drives nicer. but if you arfe going to get a diesel I would recomend finding a 99 to 2002, 7.3L diesel. they get the best fuel milage and are probably the best built diesel ford has put out so far.

Steve

doch 12-23-2009 03:34 PM

A buddy of mine has an 06 f150... I commented on how much I like it, he says it's a POS. I've heard that if you do any pulling with them, you'll blow the rear end. I ended up going with a 5.7L Tundra. I absolutely love it. No problems whatsoever (60,000km), tonnes of power, decent mileage... luxury truck!

BMW Rider 12-23-2009 03:49 PM

Having been a Ford man from a Ford family (Dad worked for a dealership for many years), two years ago I chose to replace my 94 F150 with a new Toyota Tundra.

Just couldn't get anything comparable in features, capacity or quality from any of the big three for close to the same cost, and not at all without doing a special order. Toyota had exactly the truck I wanted on the lot, several of them in fact. But what I wanted is a bit atypical of the majority of truck buyers; a standard cab, long box, 2wd, full options, at least 1700lbs cargo capacity and not in plain white corporate paint.

In fact, aside from my 79 Mustang project car, I no longer own any domestic vehicles. FWIW, the best Ford I've ever owned was my Mazada built 93 Probe GT.

Parker 12-23-2009 03:59 PM

Tough desicion to make I guess.

I will be towing with it, I have a 2,500 lb car hauler with a 3,000 lb truck on it. Last trip we took to a show was 6,000 km. My 92 with the 5.8 pulls all day long, never a problem. In fact the only thing I have ever replaced on it besides wear and tear items was the starter. So I have been pretty happy with it, well besides the gas millage but hey it has the 5.8 in it.

GM's are overpriced plain and simple and I have yet to own a GM that doesn't rattle and squeek and it drives me nuts! lol

The Tundra is a very nice truck but carries import pricing. $35,000 for a used 1/2 tonne truck with 40-80,000k is pretty steep in my mind. I'm not opposed to imports, my wifes car is a Corrolla and it runs and drives like the day it came off the showroom floor. It's been a great car.

blueyota 12-23-2009 04:09 PM

I didnt want to say it at first ...but just go with toyota ...you wont regret it ...
pay a little extra and get the quality you want ....im not against older fords but newer ones are the POS people claim them to be ....

doch 12-23-2009 04:15 PM

I used to have the Tacoma, and had no problems pulling the same as what you're talking. Wouldn't really want to do it all the time, but uphills... no problem. The Tundra will pull that all day.

What kind of truck are you pulling that's only 3000 lbs? My El Camino is 3400 lbs... and for sure smaller than a truck. So I guess I pulled more than that with the Tacoma.

I agree, the Toyota's do hold their value, which sucks for the buyer, but is great for the owner... come time to sell it, you'll get more back than you would with the other 3.

Parker 12-23-2009 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doch (Post 475214)
I used to have the Tacoma, and had no problems pulling the same as what you're talking. Wouldn't really want to do it all the time, but uphills... no problem. The Tundra will pull that all day.

What kind of truck are you pulling that's only 3000 lbs? My El Camino is 3400 lbs... and for sure smaller than a truck. So I guess I pulled more than that with the Tacoma.

I agree, the Toyota's do hold their value, which sucks for the buyer, but is great for the owner... come time to sell it, you'll get more back than you would with the other 3.

See this thread for what I'm towing around.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59155

One other thing I failed to mention... I will NEVER be a dodge pilot! :lol: