Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   where does your clownfish sleep? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59041)

jimbo222 12-19-2009 05:51 AM

where does your clownfish sleep?

is it ok for my new clownfish to sleep in my coral:neutral:

JDigital 12-19-2009 05:56 AM

Clowns tend to host all kinds of corals and equipment even. Never seen them host a Chalice before.

kien 12-19-2009 06:26 AM

My clowns host/sleep in my Goniopora. Only thing is the Goni completely retracts at night so they pretty much just sleep on a lump of rock with some skin on it.

FlamesFan 12-19-2009 06:38 AM

my clowns host long hair ric's all day and night long. they only leave them to eat.

Eb0la11 12-19-2009 07:13 AM

And here I am hoping my clowns host anything.

I keep forgetting what kind I have though. Anyone know what the kind is big als often has? I bought from there main clownfish tank.

I have a GBTA thats getting to be an ok size, 5" or so, and they havent shown interest so far in about a month.

kien 12-19-2009 07:18 AM

If you're referring to that tank that has 300 clowns in it with text on the tank that says, "Hello, I'm Nemo", those are false perculas (aka, Ocellaris, aka, common clownfish) i believe. That's what I have.

I also have two wonderful Red Bubble tip anemones in my tank that the clowns don't even bat an eye at :noidea:

bvlester 12-19-2009 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eb0la11 (Post 473842)
And here I am hoping my clowns host anything.

I keep forgetting what kind I have though. Anyone know what the kind is big als often has? I bought from there main clownfish tank.

I have a GBTA thats getting to be an ok size, 5" or so, and they havent shown interest so far in about a month.

Find one that is hosting a nem and yours will learn the trick hosting nems is a learned behavior. This is what I did and not they host a saddle green carpet nem. they get it to bunch up at night and sleep in the flolds at night they don't keep swimming at night which is wierd for a clown they look like they are hwearing scarves. I have not been able to get a pic as when the lights come on they start moving.

Bill

BlueTang<3 12-19-2009 02:05 PM

you probably think this is retarded but i have heard that printing a picture off of clowns hosting and placing it on the window of the tank for a few weeks usually works i had success with that after mine would not host

workn2hard2day 12-19-2009 03:32 PM

Tank 1 - 2 True Perc host in the LTA.
Tank 2 - no Anens. 2 false percs. host in an open brain & at night sleep at the top of the tank in the corner and the pink skunk swims around during the day and don't know were he sleeps.

side note.

Originally when I got the true percs. and later purchased the anen. they were in a 14 biocube. I am sure this is why they have hosted. So following this method, I am sure by placing the percs and anen in a "sick" tank which is usually smaller and has no other options I think you could "force" them to host

Oscar 12-19-2009 03:41 PM

Either in the branching frogspawn or pulsing xenia that is on the back wall. Sometimes they point straight up and sometimes sideways.

I had a rockslide last night that broke the frogspawn in 2 large pieces. The clowns seem exposed in comparison but not nearly like some of the postings here.