Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   FOWLR (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Instant Ocean (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55800)

burrows14 09-09-2009 12:32 AM

Instant Ocean

right now i use h20cean for my biocube 29 reef tank which is pretty pricey as far as salt goes . im thinking of upgrading to a 120 gallon fowlr very soon. So my question is Do i need to be spending 89 bucks for a bucket of salt or can i get away with the 40 dollar bucket in a FOWLR because ill be producing 5 times more SW a month.

thanks
ray

Myka 09-09-2009 01:03 AM

Imo you could use the IO for the reef! I have for the better part of 20 years. :D Although I am tempted to try H2Ocean...of all the salts out there that one sounds like there is actually a difference! :lol:

Anyway, no worries using IO in your FOWLR. :)

banditpowdercoat 09-09-2009 01:17 AM

I use IO in both my reefs. Ohter than adding a little Chemmaster MG and CA (which cost like $20 for 400+gallons) Supplimenting is acctually cheaper than buying the salt that "has it all"

burrows14 09-09-2009 01:48 AM

haha i know it was kind of a dumb question but i have never bought IO before because i was looking for the all in one product when i started my first reef and i didnt have alot of knowledge of supplements. Im learning everyday tho and didnt relize how easy it was to add elements. is there anything else i should add to IO other than the above stated?

rayjay 09-09-2009 02:13 AM

On RC right now there is a thread in the Reef Chemistry talking of higher results for the calcium and magnesium in I.O. in the new packaging.

iansfishy 09-09-2009 02:49 AM

I know people say there is a difference but why does H20 salt and the Red Sea salt that everyone seems to hate have the exact packaging- plastic bag, little twist tie thing, instuctions booklet is the same ( everything except color of bucket), same place of manufacturing and both have the same claims as to levels? yet the H20 is $80.00? I used H20 for two buckets then decided to go back to IO ( because of the price and I just dont believe the hype)everything has been the same through it all. How many aquarium salt manufacturers can there possibly be in the same place in Israel? Its like Shreddies - " oh look they are diamond shaped now!!!"

burrows14 09-09-2009 04:03 AM

diamond shreddies taste way better than the boring square ones:lol: ha ha Im gonna buy a bucket of IO this weekend and start mixing monday. should i add suppliments during mixing or when in the tank?

Mrfish55 09-09-2009 04:15 AM

I've used IO for the better part of 18 years now and ocasionally try the "new salt on the block" and allways wind up back at the IO I don't notice any difference performance wise, I believe proper maintenance is more important than the brand of salt you use, even the most expensive salt is not all that effective if you only do a water change once a year. I am in the process of upgrading again and will use IO on the new one as well.

burrows14 09-09-2009 04:23 AM

dont worry haha I didnt buy the expensive stuff so I could be lazy lol I do a 25% on my biocube every 2 weeks and I plan on doing about 10% a week on the new 120.

mark 09-09-2009 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burrows14 (Post 446579)
diamond shreddies taste way better than the boring square ones:lol:

IO user here.

When I get a new pail, I'll test Ca and Mg and mark it down on the lid so I know how much Ca/Mg I need to add. I'll mix my batch, then supplement in the mixing barrel so it's ready to go. Have a reactor so the tank stays constant and doing a change with matched water not spiking anything.