Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   tunze nanostreams? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55595)

fiorano 09-03-2009 03:14 AM

tunze nanostreams?

so i have been running 4 tunze nanostream powerheads for flow in my tank and i was jsut wondering how other people feel about these? they only do 1800 gph in water movement and i just had my second drive shaft shear off which is not covered by warranty. seeing as my tank is mainly sps and i need a lot of flow are the koralia's a better alternative? i do like the nanostreams because of the compact size but i cant have them always breaking on me and forcing me to buy a whole new engine block.

mandarin man 09-03-2009 03:48 AM

Tunze nanostream is good product. I have one and like it alot. Make sure there are no snails got into the pump. For the Korlia pumps, you might want to get bigger size to get the same performance as the tunze.

lorenz0 09-03-2009 07:10 AM

what sizes are you running and how big is your tank? i have been running 2 6055's with no issues at only 80% in my 60gal in a dominated sps tank with no issues

o.c.d. 09-03-2009 02:28 PM

The shaft shearing off is NOT under warranty? I had the same thing happen twice, and of course the clips all had to be replaced. All under warranty.How would a sheared impeller not be a manufacturing problem.What kind of BS did they try to feed you? I'd send an Email to the rep if your LFS won't do anything. Mine you any parts sent will be delivered buy donkey so expect 2 to 4 months.

yeeg 09-03-2009 03:30 PM

I dont have the nanostreams but have 4 turbelle stream and 4 turbelle stream 2's...Love them and have never had any problems with them...

mike31154 09-03-2009 03:42 PM

If you're willing to invest in a higher priced alternative (comparable to Tunze pricewise), you might want to have a look at VorTech. In case you're not familiar, they've just come out with a smaller model, MP10. Very small footprint in the display since the electrical part of the motor is mounted outside the tank, magnetically coupled to the wet side. Even the larger MP20 & MP40 models are unobtrusive in the display.

fiorano 09-03-2009 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lorenz0 (Post 445296)
what sizes are you running and how big is your tank? i have been running 2 6055's with no issues at only 80% in my 60gal in a dominated sps tank with no issues

my tank is a 125 gallon and i have 2 modded 6025's and 2 6045's supplemented with pump flow. it took a long time to get them aimed so the flow worked well between the 4 power heads. i compliment the power heads with the pump as well. i have had these for around a year and a half and i guess its not that bad if only 2 have broken in that time period. hahaha i just think its bs that it's not covered under warranty

Canadian 09-03-2009 06:47 PM

I have 3 Tunze Nanostreams kicking around and they are absolutely the poorest quality products I have ever purchased for an aquarium in the last 10 years.

All of them (including the subsequent replacements) have had the shaft in the motor block that holds the impeller in place break loose (that's 6 broken nanostreams if you're keeping count). This means the entire motor block needs to be replaced. I've given up on having them replaced under warranty and now have 3 broken nanostreams I need to just throw away but for some reason I keep them around and they mock me every time I see them :( . Of course I went through the whole broken clips debacle several times as well. Not to mention one of the magnet mounts had a flaw in the epoxy that allowed water to leak in to the magnet causing it to swell and completely rust out until I discovered it.

My Voretech hasn't been without a couple minor problems but it is considerably more reliable. I would suggest forgetting about Tunze and going with a couple Vortechs if the budget will allow it.

fiorano 09-03-2009 07:20 PM

i think i am going to go for the vortechs when i can afford it

dreef 09-03-2009 07:45 PM

You won't regret it,they kisk @$$ luv mine.