Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   New to the Hobby (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   plumbing questions (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5548)

cowfish 08-03-2003 06:25 PM

plumbing questions

I wonder if anyone can help me out.
tank-46gal.
I have a 1.25 inch hole for overflow and I wonder if its big enoegh so it wont overflow the tank with a mag 9. and is a mag 9 powerful enoegh so that I wouldnt need powerheads in the tank.
Also what size tube or pvc pipe should I use for return with a mag 9.

any help is appreciated.

titus 08-04-2003 06:52 PM

Hello,

I believe the 1.25" hole and the Mag 9 are enough, at least to get started and for some time. The higher the flow rate the better but you need to make sure that the flow into the display tank is also evenly distributed and not focused heavily on one single area. You can do this with multiple outlets. A good example can be seen here.

Do you have a good overflow to collect water over a large surface area? How is your design like? Tell us a bit more about your setup. Like do you use a sump and what are the dimensions and other equipment you use.

Titus

cowfish 08-04-2003 08:08 PM

I have 2 1.25 " bulk head on each upper corner on the back of the tank, one with an overflow box. If a mag 9 wont over flow the tank on a 1.25 bulk head then what size piping is best for return to the tank?

thanks

Jack 08-04-2003 08:12 PM

1" should be fine.

titus 08-04-2003 09:53 PM

Hello,

I don't think your Mag 9 would overflow your tank. But always put a ball valve at the pump's outlet so you can have control of the flow. Best yet put a tru-union there also so you can just shut off the valve, remove the pump for servicing if required. Your 1-1/2" overflow size should handle the return flow from the Mag 9.

If the run from the pump to the display tank isn't too long, you can use the same diameter as the pump's outlet.

Titus

cowfish 08-05-2003 12:43 AM

thanks

Wilty 08-18-2003 08:24 PM

You can sit down and do the flow calc's of the volume of water the can pass through a 1.25" per hour assuming atmospheric pressure on the water (no head pressure) and assuming no future fiction loss of elbows and pipe past the hole.

Formula is velocity X Area = Flow Rate

115866 ft/hr (gravity) X 0.008522 ft2 (hole dia.) = 987.423 ft3/hr =

7386.4 US gal/hr will drain through a hole 1.25" in diameter. Thats a lot of water.

StirCrazy 08-18-2003 11:26 PM

Re: plumbing questions

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowfish
I have a 1.25 inch hole for overflow

is that the size of the hole in the glass or is that the size of bulkhead that will fit in the hole? if that is the hole in the glass then you might only beable to have a 3/4" bulkhead or 1" at best, which might be getting close to maxed out with a mag 9. like Titus said put a "T" on the out put of the pump so you can divert some of the flow directly back to the sump if you find the overflow can't keep up.

Also if you look at Wilty's math I can tell you a 1.25" hole will not flow anywhare near that in the real world. this is because the equasion has been way over simplified to the point whare it is wrong.

I have a flow calculator somewhare I will see if I can find it, but I think a 1" tube is rated at around 800 GPH.

Steve

cowfish 08-19-2003 12:17 AM

plumbing questions

I decided to use both of holes for out flow (they're only 1" I.D). Hopefully this will cut down some problems