Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   I don't know how this happened? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49378)

traco 02-12-2009 08:40 PM

I don't know how this happened?

So I innocently start up a 55 gallon saltwater after a couple of years off. Fish only with some live rock, low lighting (around 185 watts) cuz I figured "I'm getting only fish". Then it started to happen, got a sump and overflow, skimmer, then saw some zoas and rics and figured, "well, they should be okay if I place high up in the tank?". Then started to think that maybe I should move my 2 perculas and 40 lbs of live rock from my 55 to my 66 gallon (you know, more room, right?).

So here I stand at the moment, bewildered and wondering what hit me. lol Do I need more lighting for the zoas and rics? Can I move over the sand, fish and rock into the bigger tank without a spike happening? Are those 10 extra gallons and 2" in width going to make a difference?

Someone maybe should just smack me on the side of the head, kay? lol

don.ald 02-12-2009 08:43 PM

***SMACK***
just do what most of us do. keep the 55g and the bigger tank. then get a third..:lol:

xtreme 02-12-2009 08:45 PM

What type of lighting do you have?

traco 02-12-2009 10:12 PM

A 75 RR is $350 ~ can't afford that so was making do with what I had.

Lighting is two 65 watt PC and one 55 watt actinic T5.

Borderjumper 02-12-2009 10:21 PM

Ive never used PC lights but IMO that will keep zoa's and rics alive, but there not going to have nice color. I doubt if you will get much growth either.

Just realize your hooked.. and get some MH lighting:mrgreen:

christyf5 02-12-2009 11:38 PM

LOL it happens to all of us, it just means you're a true reefer. And ditto on Shelleys comment, go for the halides, you won't regret it :biggrin:

BlueAbyss 02-13-2009 05:50 AM

+1 on halides for tanks deeper than 16"... or would that be +2 :lol: with technicalities, of course :wink:

Whatigot 02-13-2009 02:15 PM

it would be pretty obvious quick if a lighting upgrade was needed.
I would try it, worst case maybe switch your actinic t5 to a 10 or 6700k one for better par.

Thats about bare minimum and by the sounds of it, you'll be upgrading soon anyways.

vazgor 02-13-2009 03:39 PM

dont you just hate being a salt water crack head

maby we should start some kinda A-A thing for us poor adictid freaks :lol:
but to be honest you might aswell go get a 120 gallon and slowly pice it
together from difrent used places it will be cheaper in the long run to get the bigest your living space can hold i live in a mobile and im pressing my luck with a 120 :razz:
so welcome to the club man and wile were thinking along the same lines pass the pipe lol:mrgreen:

traco 02-14-2009 02:02 AM

Halides have to be suspended though? Was looking at the thread on "Fish Need It" for lighting. $70 for a two bulb 54 watt T5 (then shipping costs). I see why you guys have big tanks, you need to have the space up top for lighting, right? lol Now if I moved everything to the 66 gallon, I'd have 2 more inches for lights. I could then use my single strip power compact lights and have room for the two bulb T5 light.