Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Hydnopora question (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47479)

dabandit 12-15-2008 03:54 PM

Hydnopora question

Ok,I broke my 75g in half when I was moving so I want to permanentlly move my hydno to my 10g nano. Question is on average how long are its sweeper tentacles having never seen them myself,I was warned when I bought it but I never had an issue in my 75.
Thanks in advance

untamed 12-15-2008 04:43 PM

Anything within 2"-3" would be at risk. My observation is that other coral grows much closer than that, but when the attack comes everything within 2"-3" will be killed.

dabandit 12-15-2008 05:02 PM

Thank you,I'll go 5'' to be safe. I just had these visions in my head of 12'' sweepers wiping out my whole tank lol

GreenSpottedPuffer 12-15-2008 07:17 PM

Whoa! 2"-3"? I better move mine then I think.

How often do they extend the sweeper tentacles then? I have had mine for a while, its about 6"x4" and quite close to a bunch of gorgonians. The polyps or tentacles are always out but never more than like 1/2" or so. I guess I better be careful!

dabandit 12-15-2008 07:28 PM

Ive had mine about a month and have never seen them extend past 1/2 inch either. But alot of people including the lfs say its a bad stinger with long tentacles,better safe than stooopid I allways say

GreenSpottedPuffer 12-15-2008 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dabandit (Post 368966)
Ive had mine about a month and have never seen them extend past 1/2 inch either. But alot of people including the lfs say its a bad stinger with long tentacles,better safe than stooopid I allways say

Oh I totally agree. I knew they were very bad stingers, I just did not know they had long sweepers. Mine just always looks really fuzzy, like it has thousands of polyps and then once in a while they get what I thought was really long at about 1/2"...I can't imagine 2-3". That would look so cool though.

Lance 12-15-2008 07:42 PM

I have a fairly large Hydno and the sweepers are probably about 1.5 to 2 inches long. They almost always are out at night but once in a while they are out during the day. Helluva a sting; stung the crap out of a digi that I had too close.

GreenSpottedPuffer 12-15-2008 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lance (Post 368977)
I have a fairly large Hydno and the sweepers are probably about 1.5 to 2 inches long. They almost always are out at night but once in a while they are out during the day. Helluva a sting; stung the crap out of a digi that I had too close.

Do they come out every night?

I wonder if mine is just not happy.

Lance 12-15-2008 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenSpottedPuffer (Post 368978)
Do they come out every night?

I wonder if mine is just not happy.

Mine don't seem to come out every night; in fact, they don't come out that often; unless it is very late and I'm not seeing them.

dabandit 12-15-2008 08:16 PM

Mine swells like a balloon at night,the only time I've noticed sweepers is when it was agrivated. Maybe its a defense mechinisim,just guessing here.
It sure is purdy though lol