Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Herbie overflow users (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46916)

jasond 11-26-2008 02:25 AM

Herbie overflow users

Just wondering if you have any troubles with your siphon break clogging with your herbie overflows? Mine tends to get clogged up fairly quickly making me a little nervous...just wondering if there is a better alternative than unblocking/cleaning all the time.

Cheers

Chin_Lee 11-26-2008 03:54 AM

Jasond
if you make sure you have secondary/emergency standpipe, i never had any problems with it. I do have to occasionaly open it up a 360 and then closing it again. it helps to write in numbers on the gate valve like a face of a clock so I know how much to unturn and turn back.

StirCrazy 11-26-2008 04:05 AM

any good info on the herbie set up? I am thinking of doing this one the new system.

Steve

mark 11-26-2008 04:16 AM

Can't understand why a Herbie would effect a siphon break. For siphon break you are meaning a small hole in the return line from the pump back to the display?

fkshiu 11-26-2008 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasond (Post 363088)
Just wondering if you have any troubles with your siphon break clogging with your herbie overflows? Mine tends to get clogged up fairly quickly making me a little nervous...just wondering if there is a better alternative than unblocking/cleaning all the time.

Cheers

I don't really understand what you mean by a "siphon break" clogging. There is no siphon on a herbie - it's purely gravity driven. Do you mean the gate valve on your primary drain is clogging? If not, where exactly is the clog occurring?

Chin is right: make sure you have a second emergency drain ready.

jasond 11-26-2008 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chin_Lee (Post 363126)
Jasond
if you make sure you have secondary/emergency standpipe, i never had any problems with it. I do have to occasionaly open it up a 360 and then closing it again. it helps to write in numbers on the gate valve like a face of a clock so I know how much to unturn and turn back.

I do have an emergency standpipe, but the siphon break is to prevent water from going back to the sump through the return (back through the pump) if the pump were to lose power...otherwise a siphon is created from the tank to the sump. That make sense?

Stircrazy...lots of good info on here about the Herbie overflow, as well as reefcentral. Albert used to be the guy to speak with, not sure if he is still around or not...

jasond 11-26-2008 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark (Post 363133)
Can't understand why a Herbie would effect a siphon break. For siphon break you are meaning a small hole in the return line from the pump back to the display?

Yes, thanks Mark, that is exactly what I mean. I have a small hole/line running from the return into the emergency overflow, this is what is getting clogged.

untamed 11-26-2008 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasond (Post 363140)
Yes, thanks Mark, that is exactly what I mean. I have a small hole/line running from the return into the emergency overflow, this is what is getting clogged.

I don't understand why the emergency overflow drain seems to be involved with the return line. Maybe a photo?

jasond 11-26-2008 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by untamed (Post 363154)
I don't understand why the emergency overflow drain seems to be involved with the return line. Maybe a photo?

It is not involved, that is just where I have stuck the line. Agreed a photo will help, I will try to get one up tomorrow.

superduperwesman 11-26-2008 05:09 AM

You can't have the return higher in the tank so once the water level lowers the siphon will naturally break??