Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   "xenia crash" can someone see the problem in xenia picture i posted (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46809)

fishguy007 11-22-2008 11:24 PM

"xenia crash" can someone see the problem in xenia picture i posted

hello,

my xenia have shriveled again. i attached some pics. can someone tell what is wrong with them by the picture.

my ph was 7.8 today about. i rapidly just bosted it mins ago with ph boost. its like 8.4 now.

why is my ph going so low. what is wrong with teh xenia and what can i do.

do they look dead by the picture?

fishguy007 11-22-2008 11:26 PM

ph 8.3

how can i make my ph stay at 8.3

dabandit 11-23-2008 12:16 AM

Im no expert but I think your ph is balanced in part by your other parameters,what are they at?
P.S you should be raising your ph slowlly sudden changes in your conditions could be the reason why your xenia is sick. Also I dont see any growth on your rock how old is your setup?

fishguy007 11-23-2008 01:11 AM

xenia problem

from the pictures. do you think that the xenia will come back.???????????????????????????????????????/

the set up is just over a month old.

is there any way that i can make it age quicker.

all my parameters appear to be ok. ph is just a bit low.

ElGuappo 11-23-2008 02:15 AM

all i can suggest is patience. still a new tank.

mike31154 11-23-2008 02:38 AM

pH will vary depending on the time of day it is measured. In most systems it will be lower during the night. Light and oxygen both impact your pH. When the lights go out, pH will start dropping. Adequate flow will aid oxygenation/gas exchange to stabilize pH. I've often heard people recommend opening a door or window allowing fresh air into the house to raise pH. Trouble with that is it's pretty much out of the question during the winter.

Powertec 11-23-2008 03:11 AM

Did you cycle the tank fully?
Its not dead yet...Just closing up as its kinda cranky at the water.
If it is only a month old it is to early yet to have stuff in there.

And no there is no way to age it faster.
This hobby is definetly not about rushing things. Patience is what is required. Rush things and your livestock suffer and die.

And yes just raising your ph like that is an absolute no no...Once again do these things slowly.

What are all your others tests coming out as?

Salinity? And what is it measured with?
Temp?
Nitrate?
Nitrite?
Ammonia?
Are you dosing anything other than the ph buffer?

fishguy007 11-23-2008 10:21 PM

tank

i used dead rock in the tank. just base rock,. the lfs told me this was better, then i did not have to wait for the live rock to agasin cycle. they told me the dead rock would come alive. is this at all true

the lfs told me that i could put stuff in right away. how long do you suggest that i wait before i put anything else in.

Salinity? 1.024 I use the deep six hygrometer. you dip it in the tank, let it fill and the lever floats to the salinity.

Temp? between 78-79. sometimes 80 with the lights

Nitrate? 0

Nitrite? 0

Ammonia? 0

Are you dosing anything other than the ph buffer? - i add calcium. coral excel, coral vite, coral frenzy and mix the fish food in garlic. i have added idoide but thats about it.

any suggestions

Powertec 11-23-2008 11:39 PM

Replied to your pm.

Snaz 11-23-2008 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishguy007 (Post 362302)
- i add calcium. coral excel, coral vite, coral frenzy and mix the fish food in garlic. i have added idoide but thats about it.

any suggestions

Possible reasons your coral is dying.

1. Tank is one month old.
2. Dead rock, how did you cycle the tank?
3. Dosing everything but gatorade. Don't dose what you can't test for. Adding supplements is meant to replace lost minerals due to coral GROWTH that don't normally get replaced with regular water changes. Since your coral is not growing you should NOT be dosing. Even if coral was growing modestly you should be getting all of your minerals through water changes with a good salt.
4. Not enough Patience.