Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Clam Question (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46138)

Marlin65 10-28-2008 05:23 PM

Clam Question

I have 3 small clams and I had 3 big ones.
One of my big ones died it had a large hole in the foot like it was eaten.
Now I am having the same problem with another of my big ones (About 3")
The small ones are in a different tank and they seem to be OK.
The larger ones were in a different tank on the same same system. I have taken them out now and moved them to another tank.
I have been having some problem with those pyrite snails, and have been trying to eradicate them. They show up on them about ones every two week and I have to clean them off the shell about 4-5 at a time.
Neither ones with the hole in the foot had any snails on them though.
So I am wondering if this was caused by snails or if I have a different problem. There seem to be some white pinheads on them that I am not sure what that is. Not sure if that might be a problem.
My parameters are all good so thats not a problem.

christyf5 10-28-2008 05:39 PM

Can you get a photo? And by hole in the foot do you mean that you can see through the incurrent siphon through the bottom of the clam?

sphelps 10-28-2008 05:41 PM

Are you talking about pyramid snails?

http://www.xtalworld.com/Aquarium/pyramidsnails.jpg

These guys are pretty small it's possible you didn't see them on your other clams, also maybe they moved on after a certain amount of damage was done.

From what I know natural predators of pyramid snails are wrasses within the genus of Halichoeres and Pseudocheilinus. Other types if wrasses are also suppose to help.

TheRealBigAL 10-28-2008 05:45 PM

I keep my clams on plastic sandwich containers that I have buried(not visible) in the sand. It allows the clam to get a nice suction on the plastic and it prevents bristle worms from going in the bottom and having a very expensive meal. Clams are very susceptible to bacteria entering through the foot. I have had my one large clam for 5 months now he loves being suctioned on the smooth plastic. It makes it easy when you want to move them. Another thing you can try is getting your clam to attach itself to a the inside of a empty shell. This will also help prevent unwanted visitors in your calms foot.

Not sure if this helps......... But its something you could try :smile:

Aquattro 10-28-2008 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRealBigAL (Post 355438)
It allows the clam to get a nice suction on the plastic and it prevents bristle worms from going in the bottom and having a very expensive meal.

Some worms will prey on clams, but bristle worms aren't one of them. The only time a BW will eat a clam is if the clam is dead or well into dying.

Jaws 10-28-2008 06:18 PM

Maybe an obvious question but are you feeding your clams too?

Aquattro 10-28-2008 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaws (Post 355449)
Maybe an obvious question but are you feeding your clams too?

I've never fed a clam, so not sure that would contibute..

a4twenty 10-28-2008 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christyf5 (Post 355435)
Can you get a photo? And by hole in the foot do you mean that you can see through the incurrent siphon through the bottom of the clam?

good question, do you actually mean a hole in the the foot, byssal thread or shell and a pic will help greatly.

Marlin65 10-28-2008 06:46 PM

Its a hole in his foot. I got these two but neither would attach to rocks. One came out of someone else's tank and was not attached when I got him. I thought that when they get older they don't attach anymore.
The four that are in good shape are all attached. These two with the holes were on a flat rock but never attached.
Yes those are the snails I have so that could be my problem.
I do feed some phyto and some other clam food. Don't think thats the problem though the others are great.
It could be a worm of some sort thats why I moved them to another tank.
I can post a picture later, but it is basically a hole in the foot about the size of a nickel.

Marlin65 10-28-2008 06:49 PM

PS I have a Yellow in my main with the 3 small clams and a fat 6 line in the tank they are in now so am hoping they will eat the bad snails.