Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Programming reefers? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43959)

kwirky 08-09-2008 05:49 AM

Programming reefers?

If you're a reefer on the boards and programs on a regular basis speak up :)

What do you mainly specialize in and how long have you been doing it?

myself I'm an entry/intermediate level dot.net programmer, I'd say, for about a year now. I've been learning ADO.net lately and I'm working on a POS application for my fiance's small business for experience. I'm planning on a career in programming of some sort now that I've finished my degree.

Delphinus 08-09-2008 06:00 AM

My degree is Comp Sci and at the time I specialized in things like visualization, modeling, and animation. One of my first jobs was working in the Human Performance Lab working on a project to film motion tracking balls on models wearing various athletic shoes to quantify the stresses on joints. Neat stuff, but that was then. Now, I work on more pedestrian stuff, although I guess it's interesting in its own right - I work with realtime controls and data acquisition for various industries - mainly pipelines (oil, gas, liquid products, water, waste water) and some electrical transmission and traffic and weather and health care of all things.

kwirky 08-09-2008 06:43 AM

that's pretty cool. Going to a fine art college, of course I thought graphics programming would be cool. with only grade 11 math, graphics programming proved to be next to impossible :)

When I got to quaternions I had to give up lol. I moved on to physical computing for a while using some high level hardware/software (phidgets) and some basic web spidering amongst other things. All art projects.

fortheloveofcrabs 08-09-2008 04:31 PM

I've been programming for 9 years professionally and own a marketing company geared towards small businesses that builds web, desktop and mobile applications.

Now I just program for fun really (yay staff!) but I think I can hold my own. :)

Did you have a specific question, or just trying to meet similar folks?

-Pauli

Parker 08-09-2008 06:49 PM

I programed a game on my Vic-20 when I was a kid..does that count?

WhoPoopWrasse 08-09-2008 07:45 PM

I typed a program on a radio shack coco :lol::lol::lol:

kwirky 08-10-2008 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fortheloveofcrabs (Post 338762)
I've been programming for 9 years professionally and own a marketing company geared towards small businesses that builds web, desktop and mobile applications.

Now I just program for fun really (yay staff!) but I think I can hold my own. :)

Did you have a specific question, or just trying to meet similar folks?

-Pauli

just looking for similar folks :). I've been getting back into coding, forcing myself to code every day learning ADO.net. Here's a blog I set up where I've been posting my source code so I can find it easily at a future date. Plus the blog kinda helps with ensuring I stick to the schedule and it just might help somone else down the road in a google search or the likes :)

http://adventuresincoding.wordpress.com

EmilyB 08-10-2008 06:14 AM

Looking for "deprogramming reefer code"...

brizzo 08-16-2008 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwirky (Post 338706)
myself I'm an entry/intermediate level dot.net programmer, I'd say, for about a year now. I've been learning ADO.net lately and I'm working on a POS application for my fiance's small business for experience. I'm planning on a career in programming of some sort now that I've finished my degree.

I do programming in PHP and Delphi, along with being a mySQL guru. I do web programming, along with gui applications in Delphi for supporting a point-of-sale system I've been working with the last 5 years (Silk Systems, now called Activant Systems)