Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Help a Dog? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40548)

TANGOMAN 03-18-2008 09:27 PM

Help a Dog?

I just received an e-mail from my sister-in-law and it has compelled me to reach out for help.
This concerns a dog. A five year old Border Collie. An athletic pooch who needs surgery to deal with "Hip Dysplasia". His days in "Fly-Ball" are sadly over now but the chronic pain requires surgery to simply improve his qualty of life.
My sister-in-law requested bottles to assist her in raising money to help her little buddy get the surgery. She works two jobs and cares for her dog like a child. She just doesn't have enough money to get things done.

I hope this post doesn't get "nuked" because of its nature but I want to help out someone in desperate need.

Many of you know I operate a part-time business leasing and maintaining aquariums around the city. I propose to MATCH EVERY DOLLAR donated with earnings from my maintenance business. Just think, if 100 people honor a $1.00 donation, I'll present the vet. with $200.00. If 1000 people do this then I'm workin' for nothin' and the Humane Society will get a $700.00 donation on behalf of CanReef members. The cost of surgery is $1300.00. I'm putting $100.00 in the jar to help her out.

I know that this hobby utilizes all of our spare change, but I also know folks who keep Marine aquariums are responsible and passionate pet owners, so please, help me help a friend!
I am set up on PayPal. chinookaquatics@shaw.ca

Thanking you in advance,

ElGuappo 03-18-2008 09:31 PM

I should have about $100+ worth (Bottles cans ETC) you can have, if the roomie says its OK. you would have to pick up thou. I will ask when he gets home.

TANGOMAN 03-18-2008 09:33 PM

I'd gladly travel to pick-up bottles. (Even empty ones...LOL)

Thanks!

EmilyB 03-18-2008 09:34 PM

I have many beer cans...many....:redface: you may pick up. :biggrin:

michika 03-18-2008 09:50 PM

I also have a few cans, and I'm sure I can find a bit of cash to donate to a very good cause.

Pier Pressure 03-18-2008 09:57 PM

I betcha I could throw together a couple of big, orange garbage bags full of beer cans, as well. Let me know when you would like to pick up and I shall get them ready for you.

If I know the big-hearted people on this board, you may have to plan an entire day to pick up bottles!

StirCrazy 03-19-2008 12:41 AM

apparently I wasn't sensitive enough.. so I'll nuke it.

Steve

SeaShell 03-19-2008 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StirCrazy (Post 310927)
as much as I like dogs and such, one has to wonder if the surgery is worth it or is it time to put the dog down and get a new one. I was faced with a operation on a cat I used to have and spent the money.. now I love cats and dogs and when I have them they are part of my family but the reality is they are a pet and I have decided I will never spend that kind of money for "Quality of life" issues again. in the end I don't fell it is worth it.

Steve

I'd probably think the same thing, Steve, if this was a 20 year old dog. But this dog should be in his prime and deserves a chance. Borders are SUCH nice dogs......

Telford 03-19-2008 04:02 AM

Ok, i'll be the jerk. It's irks me when people have pets when they can't afford them. As anyone that owns or has owned a dog knows, there is inevitably going to be expenses above and beyond the bowl of food you put down for him each day. They are a 'luxury' item and should only be kept if you can afford them and if you are prepared to put up some $$$ when (not if) it's required.

michika 03-19-2008 04:16 AM

This thread isn't to debate dog ownership, or your personal choices with your pet's life when faced with questions like quality of life. Its about asking for bottles so a woman, who clearly sounds like she is doing her best and then some, can do what she feels is best for her dog. I don't want to see this thread shut down, but I think this is crossing into politics, and I believe that is against the UA. Please don't make the mods close the thread.