Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Has my DT's gone bad? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38771)

Myka 01-20-2008 02:43 AM

Has my DT's gone bad?

I just ordered some DT's Live Phyto. The package spent a little too long in transit. It was packed up around 3pm on a Friday with 2 ice packs on one side of it (they were wrapped around some frozen mysis) with packing peanuts in a regular cardboard box, and it was unpacked and refridgerated around 11 am on a Monday with the box dripping. The mysis is fine. I opened the DT's and smelled it, and it smells like a really rank fart. Is that normal? I remember smelling it once a long time ago, and it really stunk so I never smelled it again, but that was so long ago that I don't remember exactly what it stunk like. I know it's supposed to smell like "low tide", but I don't live near the coast... :D Does that smell like a rank fart? LOL!! Please describe the nasty smell of DT's for me!

i have crabs 01-20-2008 03:45 AM

go read the info on the dt's site, they have some stuff on thier about the smell

04scoobysti 01-20-2008 03:48 AM

it does smell like a rank fart, i think you should be fine. :razz:

Delphinus 01-20-2008 04:14 AM

Err ... I'm not so sure.

It's a bit like milk ... if you can smell it, you probably don't want to drink it.

I haven't used DT's in a while, but I do remember giving it a sniff test once in a while. It definitely smells bad once it's gone bad. When it wasn't bad, well, it didn't smell like roses, but, umm ... well, "rank fart" is not what I would use to describe it at that point. :lol:

Hate to say it but I think it might be toast .... sorry!

Borderjumper 01-20-2008 04:15 AM

Every bottle I ever bought smells like stank!:mrgreen:

Myka 01-20-2008 04:19 AM

I couldn't find anything on the website about the smell...?

So what's the final vote? 2 say it's good, 1 says it's gone bad? When it's gone bad what does it smell like? Maybe I should leave some out on the counter for a few days and give it a sniff to compare...?? Yuck...I don't really want to do that.

skylord 01-20-2008 04:44 AM

When it has gone bad the smell will make you wanna puke. It really is gaging when gone bad.

Scott

Johnny Reefer 01-20-2008 05:06 AM

If in doubt, throw it out.

Myka 01-20-2008 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Reefer (Post 295475)
If in doubt, throw it out.

Ya I know I probably should, but it's a pain in the butt for me to order! :(

Reef_kid 01-20-2008 06:39 AM

i have some fresh dts and they dont smell bad at all....
try subculturing it.... into a new jar.

fresh seawater to 1.020 into a pop bottle put a few caps full of the DT into it and put it under a bright light at about 26 degrees C. with an air stone bubbling in it

in a few days it should turn bright green if theres any live phytoplankton in it

i put a tinny bit (like a toothpick scoop per liter) of water soluble general purpouse plant fertilizer in the watter.

once it turns bright green you can store it in a fridge for a few weeks

you can always check if there alive under a microscope you can see them budding and reproducing.

:)