Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   PhosBan reactor (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=27691)

robzilla 10-15-2006 07:18 PM

PhosBan reactor

a newly acquired tank, came with a hair algae problem.
i'm using r/0 water, limiting the lighting (and in the process of changing all the bulbs), limit feeding, rinse frozen foods...
would a phosban reactor be the best choice to eliminate the hair algae?
what am i missing, as the algae continues to grow......
any other suggestions?

i have crabs 10-16-2006 04:14 PM

i had real bad hair algae in my tank, i set up a mj1200 split on to 2 phosban reactors 1 full of phosban and the other full of carbon and after about 2 weeks it was falling off the rocks

OCDP 10-16-2006 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i have crabs
i had real bad hair algae in my tank, i set up a mj1200 split on to 2 phosban reactors 1 full of phosban and the other full of carbon and after about 2 weeks it was falling off the rocks

Are reactors good for smaller tanks?? Or can they even be ran on a small tank? Can a reactor be purchased locally? A phosban reactor sounds pretty effective.

robzilla 10-17-2006 02:57 AM

i think that's the way i'm going to go. setup one to phosban...

Quagmire 10-17-2006 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OCDP
Are reactors good for smaller tanks?? Or can they even be ran on a small tank? Can a reactor be purchased locally? A phosban reactor sounds pretty effective.

I got mine from Golds.And yes you can use them on small tanks,you just use the proper amount of media for your tank size.

But IIRC you have a 20g? If so you may find a couple 50% or more waterchanges to work.So lets say 10g w/c a week,thats 15 w/c for $60.And you wouldn't have to dose anything or even use a skimmer.

Johnny Reefer 10-17-2006 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i have crabs

Had you run PhosBan prior to this? ....in a canister say?
I have run RowaPhos in canisters on both my reef tank and FOWLR. With the FOWLR my phosphates were too high so I bought and setup a PhosBan reactor. The phosphates climbed even higher. So I went back to running the media in the canister and the phosphates fell back. I don't know for sure, but IME, these reactors are overrated. Mind you I was running RowaPhos in it, and not PhosBan, but that shouldn't matter, IMO. I may try it again in the near future.

Cheers,

Sebae 10-17-2006 03:31 AM

Maybe you had to much flow through the reactor.

Palster 10-17-2006 04:03 AM

Has anybody built a DIY PhosBan reactor? It is basically just a container to hold the Phosphorous removing media while water is pumped through it. I have considered the idea of building my own.

Johnny Reefer 10-17-2006 04:04 AM

I don't think so. I ran a MJ 1200 on mine too, and if I remember right I had the valve wide open. The tumbling action of the RowaPhos came up the chamber by only about 2"-3". When I first fired it up I remembered thinking...."That's it?". If anything, it seemed it needed more flow. Maybe it was because it was RowaPhos, which is heavier/denser than PhosBan.

Cheers,

Quagmire 10-17-2006 04:06 AM

Should be easy to build.Water flows from bottom to top,need a sponge on the bottom,then media,then sponge for top,then lid and exit fitting.