Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   The Saga Begins!! (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=25569)

SerLunchbox 06-22-2006 06:59 AM

The Saga Begins!!

So I have officially taken the plunge.

Below are the photo's to prove it!!

So what i have is a 50 gallon tank, a Won Brother 2 Titanium heater, an aqua C Remora Pro with pre skimmer box, some power heads (hoping to get some SEIO 820's at a reasonalbe price), some Seachem reef salt and the pride and joy, my Sunlight Supply Maristar MH fixture ... a total of 578 watts. Inside ar 2 - 39 watt geissmann t-5 actinics and 2 - 250 watt 14,500K geissman DE MH bulbs. This is running off of a Blue Wave VII ballast.

I can't get over the clarity ... Already the tank is just about to start cycling and i am already hooked and probably will never go back to freshwater again ....

I am going to keep the tank a bare bottom tank (unless the wife tells me otherwise) ... WoW ... i am still in MAJOR shock.

LostMind 06-22-2006 07:23 AM

Grats! Sounds like a good setup. :)

andrewsk 06-22-2006 08:42 AM

Just go slow and enjoy. It's a great hobby.

Midknight 06-22-2006 01:19 PM

Looks good. And I love your lighting, where did you get your custom stand? :wink:

SerLunchbox 06-22-2006 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewsk
Just go slow and enjoy. It's a great hobby.

oh i plan on it ... my cycle time i expect to be upwards of 8 weeks ... minimum. I am not in any rush and realize the rushing = frusteration = dead tank and that is something that i don't want.

That custom stand is compliments of ziplock! LOL .. the real legs for it will be here around the 27th (or so I hope) ... i dunno ... some people love the plastic rustic look that they give off!

phreezee 06-22-2006 04:27 PM

Congrats! Have fun with the new setup!:)

TheReefGeek 06-22-2006 05:08 PM

Welcome to the world of reefkeeping, where you never have spare money again. :)

I wouldn't use that tupperware there very long, it might melt depending on teh quality!

SerLunchbox 06-22-2006 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheReefGeek
Welcome to the world of reefkeeping, where you never have spare money again. :)

I wouldn't use that tupperware there very long, it might melt depending on teh quality!

Oh it won't be there long .... i am just using it as a temporary solution for now. Am hoping to get some 2*6 pieces to use instead so some brick or rock.

TheReefGeek 06-22-2006 05:29 PM

I would hang the fixture from the roof, preferably on a pulley system.

That way you have easy access to your reef without getting an instand sun burn from 500+ watts of lighting.

OCDP 06-22-2006 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheReefGeek
I would hang the fixture from the roof, preferably on a pulley system.

That way you have easy access to your reef without getting an instand sun burn from 500+ watts of lighting.

I would recommend doing this as well (simply hanging it would be fine too..) you will seriously regret it once it comes time to work in the tank with your hands and you have the fixture over top. It's pretty annoying. And yes.. damn hot!!

I would look into it... now that I have an Aqualight Pro on my tank, I totally hate it... way too hard to work in the tank, and it's MUCH nicer to be able to view your reef "top down" .. it gives such an awesome look... JMO! Looking good so far, have fun :D