Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   I lost everything !! (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=15561)

Jim Barry 04-15-2005 01:04 AM

I lost everything !!

I started up my new tank in the new house 3 days ago and moved everything into the new tank as I had to tear down the old tank.

After moving the corals, fish and live rock, it took no more than 2 hours for the tank to become a toxic mess. within 24 hours I lost all fish and have lost more than 25 acros that were really nice pieces. Despite every effort to save everything it was to no avail. I moved over 60 gallons of old tank water to the new tank, did water changes, used carbon, protein skimming and alot of praying.

I am now looking at a tank of white skeletons of sps. I threw out all the softies. The only thing that is still alive is a few mushrooms :rolleyes:

oh... and I'm sure my aiptasia is still alive... :rolleyes:

The water parameters are all good, I have zero ammonia as I have over 200lbs of live rock from my old tank. I am guessing that there were too many corals that were secreting toxins.

After spending a ton of money on these animals and devoting 2 years to keeping them growing and happy, I am saddened by this loss of life.

Maybe I could have planned the transition over a slower period of time. Maybe I should have farmed everything out and moved it back in over time. Maybe I should have sold all these corals and fish to a happy home before moving the tank.

Who knows........ rookie mistakes maybe and excited about starting up the new tank.

When we start this hobby, we make a decision to care for these animals to the best of our ability......I know this probably could have been prevented......shame on me !!

Thought I would share this unfortunate event

Jim :cry: :cry:

Beermaster 04-15-2005 01:07 AM

Jim that is so sad to hear, I hope this does't drop you from the hobby

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Jim Barry 04-15-2005 01:12 AM

Thanks Mark..

After spending all the money on the new tank and cabinetry.... I will be in the hobby forever.

UPDATE.......... I found my Lawnmower Blenny, a cleaner shrimp and a Peppermint Shrimp still alive. THERE MUST BE A GOD !!!!!!

Jim

vanreefer 04-15-2005 01:21 AM

Rough :frown: :frown:

christyf5 04-15-2005 01:21 AM

Oh Jim, thats awful :frown: So sorry to hear that things just kept going downhill after we chatted.

I'm glad you found some of your critters. They must be tough old birds eh?

Christy :)

Rikko 04-15-2005 01:22 AM

Ouch. :(

You didn't transfer your sand bed, did you? Maybe anaerobic pockets got released?

Jim Barry 04-15-2005 01:25 AM

no it was a new sandbed

Beverly 04-15-2005 01:38 AM

How devastating :cry: Sorry for your losses :cry: :cry:

kari 04-15-2005 01:38 AM

As soon as things are back in order I'll do some acro cutting to get something in there for you if they are of types fitting your tank plans.

Jim Barry 04-15-2005 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kari
As soon as things are back in order I'll do some acro cutting to get something in there for you if they are of types fitting your tank plans.

Thanks Kari !!!

I am feeling better already :biggrin:

Jim