Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Buying dslr camera-opinion's please (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=13040)

Old Guy 01-05-2005 06:57 PM

Buying dslr camera-opinion's please

My eye's are now out of focus from massive net research. I have not owned a camera for quite some time and have decided to get a decent one.
The Canon 20d is my first choice, but the 3000 for body, 1 lens and taxes is just nuts. My second choice is the new Olympus E-300 which is more compared to the Canon Rebel or Nikon D70 but is 8.0 mega pixels.
Seeing how they all take good pics and I am starting from scratch, does anybody know why I shouldn't buy the Olympus system?

Jeff

trilinearmipmap 01-05-2005 07:05 PM

I don't know but I suggest if you buy from www.cameracanada.com you will get a cheap price plus you will save the PST.

Old Guy 01-05-2005 11:08 PM

Thanks but WWW.Henry's.com is even cheaper plus free shipping. :biggrin:

christyf5 01-06-2005 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Guy
Thanks but WWW.Henry's.com is even cheaper plus free shipping. :biggrin:

Actually its www.henrys.com :mrgreen: and sometimes you can get it even cheaper if you check out their ebay store. I got my camera from them through ebay for a real steal (IMO :wink:). I'm currently drooling over the Nikon Coolpix 8800 :razz: but will probably go with the Coolpix 5400 as it is more in my price range (on ebay anyway).

Christy :)

Cap'n 01-06-2005 01:15 AM

I am in the market for a good, used digital camera, preferably SLR. If any of you folks have recently upgraded and now have an extra camera, please keep me in mind.

Sorry for the possible thread hijack.

Old Guy 01-06-2005 01:38 AM

Thanks Christy. I've been looking at E-bay as there is a place in New West that sell's on there. I thought about the 8800 for an hour or 2 :lol: but after playing with my kids fuji e510 for awhile I just didn't want the limitations. I'm about a month away from the actuall perchase. Trying to make sure I don't have any regrets after dishing out a couple of G's :smile: .

StirCrazy 01-06-2005 02:14 AM

my friend just got the Nikon 70. even though I am a die hard Fuji fan I would consider this as a replacement camera, I was totally impressed with it.

Steve

R.A.D 01-06-2005 04:53 AM

Go for Nikon!!

Hi,

Just to pipe in, I am a die hard fan of Nikon and have owned numerous camera bodies, lenses, flashes etc.. and therefore recommend the Nikon D70. There are many other great cameras out there and the Olympus is no exception, however, with the Olympus you are only able to use their Digital lenses only and unless you have a ton of money these lenses are not cheap. The D70 will accept most of the older Nikon lenses and you can find these alot less expensive used. IMHO, Nikon has one of the best metering systems, 3D Color Matrix and it is very accurate. Although I did not like the Canon Digital Rebel, Canon did a very good job with the 20D. It is about $600 dollars more then the D70 and I am not sure if it warrants that difference. In any case, whatever you do decide to do make sure you purchase the RAW converting software and shoot in RAW, it will make your life a lot easier. Anyways, my two bits.

Fishy

Old Guy 01-06-2005 09:06 PM

The D70 is my third choice. I am leaning towards the Olympus more because of the dust on sensor problem the others have. Prices I've checked on lense's don't seem to be much more, since they are all digital.
Sigma does make a 55-200 for the Olympus.

I still may end up with the 20d seeing how I can get it with a 18-55 lens kit for 2 G's. Build on later kind of thing.