Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Canadian Reef Octopus Distributor (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=122049)

rockworm 01-14-2017 02:40 AM

Canadian Reef Octopus Distributor

I don't know if this is the correct forum, but I am very frustrated with the Canadian Distributor of Reef Octopus. I do not know who the distributor is, but I am watching my 400g SPS tank slowly die because they cannot provide a timely delivery of a large protein skimmer. I ordered a Reef Octopus SRO 6000ext Recirculating External Protein Skimmer through my local LFS on December 14, 2016. I ordered it because my old Reeflo Orca 250 pro skimmer finally bit the dust and I could not get the replacement part I needed. I ordered a different skimmer pump, added it, through plumbing modifications to my skimmer and it was not strong enough, so a new skimmer was in order.

I made the order through and was told it would be at there before the new year. It did not arrive and I followed up with my LFS on January 5. The LFS has tried to contact the distributor twice, to no avail. I again contacted the LFS and they finally got in contact with the distributor on Thursday, Jan 12. The distributor claimed it was in stock.

I do not know what the heck is going on, but it seems to me that the distributor for Reef Octopus does not care for customers and I would suggest that people consider an alternative skimmer. I am in a small minority who operates a large reef system. This whole experience has shown me that the Canadian Distributor does not give a sh*t about their customers.

WarDog 01-14-2017 02:51 AM

I can only imagine how frustrating this could be. Good luck, hopefully a solution is expedited!

rockworm 01-14-2017 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarDog (Post 1005952)
I can only imagine how frustrating this could be. Good luck, hopefully a solution is expedited!

Thank you WarDog. I have remained quiet to give them an opportunity to deliver. There are many ups and downs with SPS tanks, but this one is frustrating because it is out of my control. I Have lost about a 1/3 of my corals and am now doing 40g water changes every day trying to export the nutrients.

I know the risks of running a SPS tank, but am somewhat disapointed that I cannot get large tank equipment on a short term basis, only because I live in Canada. BRS has one in stock, but between exchange and shipping, it would have cost me significantly more than the Canadian price. It really sucks.

Bugger 01-14-2017 03:25 AM

I ordered a reef octopus biochurn 120r and waited like 5 months for it

rockworm 01-14-2017 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugger (Post 1005959)
I ordered a reef octopus biochurn 120r and waited like 5 months for it

Ouch. That would be bad news. I hope the distributor is being honest. If I don't get it by Wed I will have to look at something else. The problem is getting it to Ottawa in a fast manner.

DKoKoMan 01-14-2017 04:26 AM

Sorry to hear this! It sounds like your LFS is sent and trying to help you out on their end. Keep on top of them as the LFS should have an expectation of communication or they can dump them as a supplier.

SoloSK71 01-14-2017 04:32 AM

I know this does not help you but the US distributor is nothing short of amazing, I left them a message on the 23rd of December with a technical question, figuring I would get a response in the New Year and got a phone call on the 24th where they walked me through resolving the issue.

Maybe give them a call, just a wild idea?

Charles

rockworm 01-14-2017 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoloSK71 (Post 1005965)
I know this does not help you but the US distributor is nothing short of amazing, I left them a message on the 23rd of December with a technical question, figuring I would get a response in the New Year and got a phone call on the 24th where they walked me through resolving the issue.

Maybe give them a call, just a wild idea?

Charles

I have been looking at US sites because I cannot wait much longer. The current exchange rate really bumps the price up and makes it uncompetitive on a price basis with the Canadian prices. I am ****ed at the Canadian distributor because I may be forced to go to the US to get an appropriate skimmer. Unfortunately it will significantly increase my cost because of exchange rates. So much for customer service. 😝

gmann 01-14-2017 06:48 AM

try msg'in coralvue?

i know they are the US distributor, but they have J&l, and other stores in Canada listed under their "where to buy section"

intarsiabox 01-14-2017 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmann (Post 1005976)
try msg'in coralvue?

i know they are the US distributor, but they have J&l, and other stores in Canada listed under their "where to buy section"

Coralvue will answer questions right away but I don't know if they can control what another distributor does. The problem with having to order through the distributor is that they may not just ship single items to their vendors, they will usually wait until there is enough to send a larger order through. If you are going through a pail of salt every 4 days doing 40g daily water changes and losing a fortune in corals would it not be cheaper to just get the skimmer through the US? Even with our dollar, the items I've looked at from the US are still about par with what I pay here in Canada, just no savings.