Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lower Mainland (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Rimless or euro braced (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=121121)

BobFish 10-18-2016 11:23 PM

Rimless or euro braced

Can I see a show of what people out there would have in a new tank, and why?

Rimless or Euro braced

FishyFishy! 10-18-2016 11:44 PM

After having a bunch of rimless tanks...I always end up with water over the sides. With wave maker technology the way it is now, its tuff to keep water levels constant enough for the wave motion. If you're doing a low flow system like for LPS and softies, no problem there. I had to remove a powerhead from my frag tank because i'd constantly get little drips of the front pane when my "else" mode would go to full power.

I also find that most people after losing a couple of fish to jumping will end up getting a lid made anyways. So there goes the sleek look.

One piece euros are just sexy as well in my opinion, but due to cost you dont see them enough.

duncangweller 10-19-2016 12:22 AM

I wouldn't go rimless again. I'd sooner have the black rim on the outside of the tank than go rimless.

Besides, like you said....after a few fish go airborne then I'd always want to put a lid on it anyway.

warriorcookie 10-19-2016 12:56 AM

My next tank will have a single piece euro brace for sure.

Myka might have pics of hers. Polished edges with no balck trim. Custom clear mesh to keep the carpet surfers on the inside too. Very sharp looking.

Myka 10-19-2016 02:28 AM

I hate trimless tanks - like others said, they suck to clean because the magnet splashes water over the rim all the time.

Black trim is still quite common. At least you don't get the splahes, and I like that you don't see the water line. However, I'm not a big fan of black on tanks, be it trim or the stand, or th light fixture as I think it looks dated.

I strongly dislike the typical non-polished 4-piece eurobraced tanks as I think it looks messy and unfinished. I also don't like that it gets in it the way when you're working in the tank.

On my own tank I chose one-piece eurobracing all polished up with black silicone, and it is pretty slick. It does still get in the way when I'm working in my tank which annoys me, but I still enjoy the look of it. I got a friend with a 3D printer to print me out some custom corners for a flush-mount screen. It has a nice finished look to it. I ran the return line down through the eurobracing along the back.

Here's a quick cell phone pic:
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...938a42494e.jpg

smokinreefer 10-20-2016 12:14 AM

I was certain I was going rimless until this thread...

I certainly don't like the look of regular eurobracing, and will go rimless simply for the aethetics...

But maybe one piece eurobracing is the way to go... My tank goes up in cost to do rimless, because of thicker cost, wonder what the one piece costs in comparison to going with the thicker glass... Hmmm

Myka 10-20-2016 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokinreefer (Post 1000514)
wonder what the one piece costs in comparison to going with the thicker glass... Hmmm

One-piece euro costs more than trimless. There's a ton of polishing.

smokinreefer 10-20-2016 02:11 AM

Not what I wanted to hear lol

smokinreefer 10-20-2016 02:13 AM

And I'm gonna guess, that even if it's possible, it's not even gonna be worth considering in an 8' tank...

Myka 10-20-2016 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokinreefer (Post 1000524)
And I'm gonna guess, that even if it's possible, it's not even gonna be worth considering in an 8' tank...

That depends on your budget. ;) Personally, I would rather buy a smaller tank that is a work of art than a bigger tank that's run of the mill. I consider the aesthetics of the tank, stand, and lights more important than what's inside the tank. To each their own though. :)