Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   DIY (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Fabricating steel stand - which steel do I buy? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=113975)

Myka 05-09-2015 04:58 PM

Fabricating steel stand - which steel do I buy?

Ok, so steel is definitely not my forte. I used to be a carpenter by trade, now I'm a true reef junkie. :lol: Anyway, it suddenly dawned on me that hubby has a welder and knows how to weld. :redface: I'm pretty sure 1" square steel tube is plenty for my 36" long 69-gallon tank, but before I go buy the wrong thing, is there a wall thickness or a gauge or a particular name-type I'm looking for? Or is it just a standard thing?

I sent Grizz a PM yesterday. He hasn't replied yet, and I'd like to go get this stuff today.

WarDog 05-09-2015 05:29 PM

I used inch and a half with a 3/16th wall thickness on my 65. Overkill to be sure. The thing could hold a tank. My stand however, does not have a centre brace on the front, so I wanted to be sure. Check my build for pics if you're interested. Too bad the Grizz hasn't chimed in. I would recommend no thinner than 3/16.

spit.fire 05-09-2015 06:23 PM

IMO 1.25" x .100 or .125 wall is ideal, no big ugly radius on the corners yet strong enough to hold up a car

Myka 05-09-2015 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarDog (Post 949265)
I used inch and a half with a 3/16th wall thickness on my 65. Overkill to be sure. The thing could hold a tank. My stand however, does not have a centre brace on the front, so I wanted to be sure. Check my build for pics if you're interested. Too bad the Grizz hasn't chimed in. I would recommend no thinner than 3/16.

Ok thanks. I don't want it to be overkill. :lol: I want as much room under the sump as possible, even 1/2" would make a difference for me. There really should be no need for a center post along a 36" length, and I'm certainly not game for that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spit.fire (Post 949279)
IMO 1.25" x .100 or .125 wall is ideal, no big ugly radius on the corners yet strong enough to hold up a car

Hmm, maybe the stands I've been looking at aren't 1" like I thought. I suppose maybe they are bigger than that now that I think of it. Thank you.

JmeJReefer 05-09-2015 09:21 PM

stand

1-1.5" square tube with at least two braces width-wise at the back for support. an open front should be fine. I took a piece of flat bare as well and drilled a hole in the centre of a piece. then welded a Nut on the one side so a bolt could be put through the other repeated for all the legs on the bottoms as a self levelling idea....
A quick emery cloth rubdown and a primer/blackcoat finish did the trick. A rust sealant primer is better....
my two cents...

jorjef 05-09-2015 09:38 PM

I have a 120 sitting on 1.5x1.5x .125w its a very simple design, basically two 4x2 frames one under the tank and one as a base on the floor with the obvious four legs one in each corner. No cross braces or other reinforcement. No deflection that I can see.

spit.fire 05-09-2015 11:16 PM

to bad you're not in bc, i have a stand for that size tank sitting in my garage

reef-keeper 05-10-2015 03:26 AM

My 6' tank is built on 1" square tubing with a centre brace and 2 diagonal cross braces at each end. This tank has been my project tank for a few years. I'd take a pic but it has been stuffed in the corner and now has so much clutter around it it will take a month to pull out.

Myka 05-10-2015 03:54 AM

Thanks for all the input guys! I'll see what I can find...steel store was closed today anyway. *sigh*
Quote:

Originally Posted by spit.fire (Post 949329)
to bad you're not in bc, i have a stand for that size tank sitting in my garage

36 x 21"?? Really?

spit.fire 05-10-2015 04:53 AM

Mines 36x18 but I could extend it pretty easily