Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Nano Tank Talk (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   I need suggestions, please. (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=112065)

Alberta_madcow 02-08-2015 11:37 PM

I need suggestions, please.

Best clean up crew for my 3 gallon nano?

Best fish for my 3 gallon nano?

I was thinking one turbo snail, two of the tiniest hermet crabs I can find, an emrald crab and a peppermint shrimp??

As for fish I was thinking a green chromis, cheap and pretty and they stay small.

I have deep sand so was thinking a small jaw fish or some other sand loving fish?? Any thought or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Some details on tank :
3.3 gallon
2" of sand,ten pounds I know it's way to much...
3 pounds of live rock rubble
Water depth 8" to 9"
Live rock has tons of Hitchhikers, mushrooms,coco worms, different algae ect. All doing well
I use a hang on back filter meant for a 10 to 15 gallon tank,it has a replaceable cartridge filter and a bio filter that looks like a mass of black worms..
Tank temp is 80 f

FishyFishy! 02-09-2015 12:49 AM

I would probably do one hermit (but something nice like a Halloween), one snail, and the peppermint. I wouldn't see much of a point with the emerald.

If you want a crab, I would suggest maybe a porcelain crab. They are far more lively, and their diet is more filter feeder style. Emeralds would probably die off quickly in a small tank like that.

As for the chromis, they definitely are not a nano fish. They prefer to be in groups, and are also very active swimmers. I would stick to a small clownfish or a clown goby.

Jawfish are not nano fish either. They probably need at least 20-30 gallons.

With the deep sand bed, You could get away with a pistol shrimp and goby pair.

In a tank this small.. I would stick to one fish max.

Alberta_madcow 02-09-2015 12:55 AM

Cool! Thanks fishyfishy, I'll do some reading on porcelain crabs !! They look really neat :)

Skimmer Juice 02-09-2015 01:04 AM

yes I was going to suggest a Halloween hermit as well. They are the best cleaners out there for algae on rocks IMO. I would also stay clear of the chromis , maybe look at some of the smaller blennys they have great personality . Had a few griesenger gobies a while back when I had a nano a little bit harder to find but one of the coolest fish out there. Or you could look for a panda gobie also not as common but would be perfect for a nano .

Alberta_madcow 02-09-2015 01:08 AM

Awesome!! Thank you!! This is great please keep the suggestions coming.

Alberta_madcow 02-09-2015 03:19 AM

I think I'm falling in love with gobies !!

lastlight 02-09-2015 04:57 AM

Trio of Trimma gobies!

gregzz4 02-09-2015 05:00 AM

A deep sandbed can cause issues, so be aware of what you're getting into

I haven't retained all I read about them, so you'll have to look on the web

All I remember is I stay away from them

Craigdillman 02-09-2015 05:37 AM

You could do a shrimp goby pair like the candy cane shrimp they are like an 1" long and one of the small goby's randals I think only get 2" I can't remember but there are some small ones my bro has a 5 gallon with them awesome little guys mess up the sand a lot but cool to look at

Alberta_madcow 02-09-2015 02:55 PM

I'm definitely going with a shrimp gobie combo! As for deep sand,I know I messed that up. That's why I'm looking for sand dwelling criters and fish... I heard of snails that burrow in the sand as well??