Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Wow, lesson learnt. (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=107591)

Baker 06-04-2014 03:08 PM

Wow, lesson learnt.

So last night I learned a lesson. I washed my filter socks with a load of laundry which I have done before. It just so happened that it was a larger load and I just put the socks on top. Big mistake! Not thinking anything of it, I pulled my other socks and put the "washed" ones in. We'll next thing I know, my skimmer is producing soap bubbles like crazy and all my corals immediately closed up and most LPS started to look like it was melting. Of course I started to freak out. With a couple thousand worth of coral in this tank I was thinking I was going to lose it all. Luckily I had a bucket of water so I immediately mixed some salt and did a water change. I filled the reactor with fresh carbon and rowaphos. Started the system back up with the socks pulled out. Within an hour or so I started to see things open up again. Crisis averted. I guess the machine didn't wash out all the soap. So now I have a question, how do you guys wash your socks? I was thinking about hand washing but that's a pain in the a**.

Aquattro 06-04-2014 03:09 PM

I wash mine as a separate load in hot water only. No soap.

reefwars 06-04-2014 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 900116)
I wash mine as a separate load in hot water only. No soap.

Same here socks only :)

Skimmer Juice 06-04-2014 03:36 PM

I scrub mine by hand in the sink with just water , takes 5 mins I do it once a week

christyf5 06-04-2014 03:42 PM

I soak mine in a light bleach solution, then wash in cold water with an extra rinse (hot water stinks up the basement). Then I let them air dry for at least a week before I use them. I have many in rotation.

daplatapus 06-04-2014 03:42 PM

I run my washer through once empty to rinse any soap residue, then stick the filter socks in by themselves with a 1/4 cup of bleach through a heavy wash cycle and an extra rinse cycle. Let air dry for a day after that.
Probably over kill, but works for me.

chef 06-04-2014 04:33 PM

"not thinking anything of it', will get ya nearly every time. Anyway...
I turn inside out and wash by hand, then soak in water till I have a few piled up. Extra cycle , bit of bleach, NO soap, air dry as long as possible.

Slyguy00 06-04-2014 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skimmer Juice (Post 900120)
I scrub mine by hand in the sink with just water , takes 5 mins I do it once a week

+1

straightrazorguy 06-04-2014 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skimmer Juice (Post 900120)

Same here.

AquaPin 06-04-2014 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daplatapus (Post 900123)
I run my washer through once empty to rinse any soap residue, then stick the filter socks in by themselves with a 1/4 cup of bleach through a heavy wash cycle and an extra rinse cycle. Let air dry for a day after that.
Probably over kill, but works for me.

Do all the same here except I do not do the pre-rinse of the washing machine.