Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Tell me about Cuba (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=107419)

Werbo 05-28-2014 05:33 AM

Tell me about Cuba

Wife and I are looking to go for cheap 7 day vacation at the end of June. Only been to Cozumel and Maui. Both met are top priorities listed below:

1. Nice Beaches: un-crowded natural beaches
2. Snorkeling (beach or snorkel tours)
3. Good local food
4. Cleanliness
5. Not overly busy (I'd hate Waikiki for example)
6. We enjoy exploring via a scooter on our own (not structured tours)

Unimportant things are nightlife, seeing Havana or buying cigars.

Anyone have input on Cayo Coco, Cayo Guillermo, Cayo Santa Maria or Holguin?

Thanks

Aquattro 05-28-2014 05:45 AM

Seeing Havana is pretty cool. Good local food doesn't happen at resorts. Staying at a B&B could get you some amazing meals and some free Spanish lessons.
I don't do tours, so can't comment on that. Never really saw scooters there either.
Clean as most other 3rd world destinations. More or less :)

paddyob 05-28-2014 11:24 AM

Cayo coco. Stay at the sol. Food is great. Reef off shore. Best resort I've been at over 4 trips down. The food in Cuba is not great at most places.

The Sol has very good ratings on trip Advisor. Use trip advisor. It won't steer you wrong.

But it's far from Havana. Far.

Craigdillman 05-28-2014 02:06 PM

Beaches -awesome
RUMMMMM- best in the world
People - friendly not pushy and genuine
Food- bland they don't import a lot of spices so they arnt know for there food there sweets taste kinda like they need more sugar BUT there fruit is so fresh makes up for it

Cities are safe and easy to get around, honestly you have to havea mojijio at a random bar in Havana that's just what you have to do, and have a Hemingway at his bar as well.

We travel like you don't do any tours unless maybe some of the boat tours to the little bays to snorkel or dive way awesome, you can see the sights yourself

I've stayed I'm varedaro at resorts and non resorts and In Santa Clara if reccomend varedaro it's closer to things you wana do

Just my 2 cents have a good trip

randy123 05-28-2014 05:21 PM

We enjoyed Cayo Coco. I saw a huge variety of fish, including a huge school of a few hundred atlantic blue tangs.

There is a town you can go on a group excursion to if you want to experience the culture, otherwise you would have to travel quite a ways or stick with the tours. If snorkeling is your thing, do the catamaran tour and you'll probably encounter a few new species.

You'll find good rum-based drinks, but don't eat the sushi. That is all.

Werbo 05-28-2014 07:58 PM

Cayo Coco is sounding good.

Any other suggestions?

Jschier 05-28-2014 09:43 PM

We were at Cayo largo, everything you mentioned. It's on an island with only a few other resorts on it. Very nice indeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

intarsiabox 05-29-2014 04:03 AM

If you can, bring along some pencils, crayons or other such items for a local school where you will staying. They have very little and these things are very much appreciated.

ReEf BoSs 05-29-2014 07:28 AM

varadero all the way. Clean and organized 15-30 minutes from the airport if i remember correctly and 2 hours to havana. Its goes oldest resort to the newest in order on the peninsula with the town being first. We scootered and horse carriage into the market/town.Beaches were white sand no seaweed and no garbage but we were near the town i think the very end where the new resorts are may not be as nice of beaches. We plan on going back in the next few months to the Blau this time. Oh i could go on ....

The Guy 05-29-2014 03:43 PM

I have never been to Cuba, but a good fiend of mine goes yearly to Varadero and keeps telling me I should try it, I'm going to give it a try next spring I think.