Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Buying copepods (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=106871)

jason604 05-02-2014 04:21 AM

Buying copepods

I'm thinking of buying those bottles of live Copepoda to restock my tank for my mandarin. Do I just pour the whole bottle into my sump? I have dragon breathe in there I think or some kind of red algae I bought from JL cuz they ran out of chaeto. Or do I pour lil by lil every few days into my DT? How long do they stay alive for I'm the fridge? Can they reproduce in my sump?

gregzz4 05-02-2014 04:52 AM

You could just buy them from mohamedalli, or whatever his username is

As for dumping them into your tank, I'd do it at night with your pumps off so the pods have a chance to find your LR before being eaten while they float around in the water column

And if you have a 'fuge, put them in there with the flow turned off for, I don't know, 5-15mins, so they can populate the area

If you dump them in with the pumps on, they will mostly get filtered out/eaten right away

hfp75 05-02-2014 04:54 AM

Swirl up the tiger pods and squirt them into your live rock arround your display tank.... They will hide and survive in the rocks.... If you've got a bunch of rocks in your sump squirt some there too... Pods going into the water column is useless... They live and hide on the rocks... Your mandarine hunts the rocks for them!!!

jason604 05-02-2014 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzz4 (Post 895059)

As for dumping them into your tank, I'd do it at night with your pumps off so the pods have a chance to find your LR before being eaten while they float around in the water column

And if you have a 'fuge, put them in there with the flow turned off for, I don't know, 5-15mins, so they can populate the area

If you dump them in with the pumps on, they will mostly get filtered out/eaten right away

yea i was gonna buy from him. Dunno if i should get 8oz or 30oz and dump it all in at once?

fooman 05-02-2014 05:01 PM

I was wondering who is selling that would ship to BC?

EmilyB 05-02-2014 05:50 PM

Can you get this in Calgary?

Skimmer Juice 05-02-2014 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmilyB (Post 895119)
Can you get this in Calgary?

they sell live pods in a bottle at pisces for $20 a bottle , not sure if that helps

Myka 05-02-2014 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzz4 (Post 895059)

I sent him PM a month ago asking about his different copepods and he didn't reply. He had not signed onto CanReef in a long time when I checked.

monocus 05-02-2014 08:29 PM

cocopods

he's coming by my place today.i'll relay the message

harlequin01 05-04-2014 05:09 PM

i heard from someone that those copepod they are selling at the store are harvested from a cold water region. they will not survive the temperature in your tank