Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Nano Tank Talk (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   clams (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=10588)

reefnut 08-01-2004 03:29 PM

clams

anyone ever keep any kind of clams under pc lights?will they survive or is mh the only way?

bear27 08-01-2004 03:46 PM

It totally depends on the type of clam you get and the amount of PC lighting
maxima's and crocea need bright light while derasas and squamosas will do OK under PC

I emphasize only doing OK because the growth rates will be slow
I kept my derasas under PC for a long time with very minimal growth but when i switched to MH I got better growth rates

bluetang 08-01-2004 04:41 PM

Kept a Blue Maxima under PC's for roughly about 8 months. It unfortuatly died last week, i beleive to a heat issue and a combined lighting issue. It was doing awsome when it was young but as soon as the heat kicked in and it got bigger it stopped opening as big as normal. It was only sick for about a week and died real quickly. I probably wouldnt get another until I upgrade to MH lighting. My experiment is over..... :cry:
thanks

reefnut 08-01-2004 04:50 PM

thanks guys. Anyone else with experience keeping clams under pc only?Dont want to go mh allready having heat issues on hot days but am really interested in keeping a clam.TIA

EmilyB 08-01-2004 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bear27
It totally depends on the type of clam you get and the amount of PC lighting
maxima's and crocea need bright light while derasas and squamosas will do OK under PC

I agree.

Actually, I kept a crocea once under PC for about four months. I thought it was doing splendidly, it had attached to the rock and never gaped. It wasn't until I took a picture and compared it to the picture I had taken when I bought it that I realized the clam's colors were definitely "browning".

Then I moved the clam and probably foolishly gave it too much light too fast, because it kept jumping and falling, and eventually perished. :redface:

I really think all clams look best under MH tho.

reefnut 08-01-2004 10:24 PM

ok besides appearence does the browning also mean that it is slowly dying or is it just a cosmetic thing.

Namscam 08-02-2004 04:56 PM

the browning just means that the clam is producing more photosynthetic symbiont so that it can get more energy due to the lack of light. it doesnt mean that its dying

megatron_55 01-01-2005 10:38 AM

Clams under PC

Hey, I have kept a blue maxima under T5's for about 7-8 months now (about 4 - 4.5 watts per gallon) . . .it did lose its blue colors though . . unfortunately I'm color blind and I can't tell if its brown or red now. . . but I just switched to PC lighting about a month ago and Im starting to see blue color again. . . (but now im running it on 7.2 watts per gallon)

reefnut 02-18-2005 02:08 PM

well im running a pc t5 combo at about 10 watts per gallon on a ten gallon tank.i tried a mh and couldnt control the heat.clams and longhorned cowfish are what drew me to this hobby and since ive got my cowfish im goind to attempt a clam aswell.the only fish that will be in the clam tank is a six line.ill keep my fingers crossed.\

Willow 02-18-2005 04:11 PM

seahorse keeps dursas in his tank with pc's and they look great.