Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Amphipods issue (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=104793)

1986CJ7 02-11-2014 02:52 AM

Amphipods issue

With a little disbelief to what has happened so far I am asking for a little advice. Since I've sold the livestock (kept only the clownfish) I had an explosion of amphipods in the cube and to my surprise they've started eating the zoas.

First the gorilla nipples, they cleaned up half the stone, at first I thought it's the low light or that I damaged some of the polyps in the many moves, but then after a couple of days of putting the gorilla nipples into a more lighted location, to my surprise, I saw the Sunny Ds disappearing one after one. They've gone through 10 heads before I started monitoring and paying attention and most definitely there's a bunch of amphipods chopping down the Sunnys systematically one after one.

I went and bought two wrasses asap (6line and lemon) but I am a little bummed. I still have around 30 heads spread on the rock, but the stupid bugs almost cleaned up the original coral plug.

Opened for suggestions, what should I do?

Slyguy00 02-11-2014 03:55 AM

Iv never heard of amphipods eating zoas. Are you sure they are amphipods? Have any pics?

04V10 02-12-2014 03:28 AM

I had the exact same issue. It got to the point that when I would spot feed my acans they would come out during the day. Pods will eat zoas, theres a good vid on youtube of them doing it. I was down to my last radioactive dragon eye.

My only solution to you is what you did and to get a 6 line wrasse or something along those lines. I picked up a 6 line and he went to work right away and was a chubby little bugger. Never had any issues after that.

Slyguy00 02-12-2014 05:55 AM

Thats crazy, learn something new everyday. So aside from getting a wrasse I would assume a mandarin goby would probably help to? I thought pods where a good thing lol.

Wheelman76 02-12-2014 06:44 AM

I remember reading about that on reef central a long time ago. Seems like it was the really big amphipods that were eating the zoas. I'm pretty sure mandarins only eat the baby copepods , I think a wrasse would be a much better choice.

Slyguy00 02-12-2014 06:59 AM

O ok, I wasn't sure what the gobys eat. Wrasses arnt always an option on an open top tank though. I wonder if there is anything else that would deal with that? I haven't had them eat my zoas yet, but iv seen some big bastards in my tank.

input80 02-12-2014 07:49 AM

egg crate lids my friend, I think.

Proteus 02-12-2014 01:52 PM

Reefers (Denny) had pods eating zoas a while back. I recall him accidentally dumping his coral dip water into tank lol. Fixed the pod problem

1986CJ7 02-15-2014 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Proteus (Post 879841)
Reefers (Denny) had pods eating zoas a while back. I recall him accidentally dumping his coral dip water into tank lol. Fixed the pod problem

What did he dip with?