Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Best sand sifter? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=104546)

paddyob 02-02-2014 04:40 AM

Best sand sifter?

In your experiences...

Which sand sifter is best suited to aquarium life?

I'm going to add one.

jason604 02-02-2014 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paddyob (Post 877549)
In your experiences...

Which sand sifter is best suited to aquarium life?

I'm going to add one.

sifter gobies.. they never stop sifting!! killing my plates lol

hillegom 02-02-2014 06:01 AM

+1 on the gobies. I have a diamond head. Never stops sifting gravel.
Can't keep anything on the bottom cause he will cover it.
Hard worker!!

paddyob 02-02-2014 12:44 PM

I'm wondering about hardiness.

I know they sift like champs... But some sift but live short lives in a tank.

Myka 02-02-2014 03:05 PM

The trick is to find a sifter that also eats prepared foods. Many sifters starve to death in aquariums because they refuse to eat prepared foods and don't actually get enough food from the sandbed.

paddyob 02-02-2014 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myka (Post 877606)
The trick is to find a sifter that also eats prepared foods. Many sifters starve to death in aquariums because they refuse to eat prepared foods and don't actually get enough food from the sandbed.

This is my concern.

So in trying to isolate species that are in this category.

Which are more likely to accept prepared?

Coralgurl 02-02-2014 04:37 PM

My diamond back goby sifts like a champ, but eats frozen and pellets, comes over where I feed and grabs his share. He has his area that he sleeps and I can't keep any corals on the sand in this one area as he likes to rearrange his home, otherwise, other corals are fine. Nice thing about the diamond backs is they don't create sand storms and don't move around when sifting.

hillegom 02-02-2014 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coralgurl (Post 877623)
My diamond back goby sifts like a champ, but eats frozen and pellets, comes over where I feed and grabs his share. He has his area that he sleeps and I can't keep any corals on the sand in this one area as he likes to rearrange his home, otherwise, other corals are fine. Nice thing about the diamond backs is they don't create sand storms and don't move around when sifting.

I agree. Bought mine from a tank shutdown. He eats pellets, frozen and flakes.
I have some mushrooms on the sandbed that don't get affected by the occasional sand/gravel.
Sometimes I have to feed him separately as my foxface is a hog and eats everything faster than the diamond head. As well, the goby is stupid as he will not "see" the food, rather he indiscriminately scoops gravel here and there, whether there is food there or not.

Reef Puffer 02-02-2014 07:02 PM

I have a sand sifting starfish. Does a wonderful job. Has been in my 120 for close to 2 years now.

spit.fire 02-02-2014 07:13 PM

Nassarius snails, conches and serpent stars are IMO the best combo for a ground level cleanup crew