Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Biopellets out, gfo in (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=103249)

chef 12-17-2013 03:42 AM

Biopellets out, gfo in

Since using h2ocean salt, my alk has climbed to 9.5-10. I was advised to take my pellets offline to correct this. 2 days later, fuzzy rocks and more than usual algae on glass. Would running gfo help fix this. If so, can I run it in the same vertex reactor?

spit.fire 12-17-2013 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chef (Post 866869)
Since using h2ocean salt, my alk has climbed to 9.5-10. I was advised to take my pellets offline to correct this. 2 days later, fuzzy rocks and more than usual algae on glass. Would running gfo help fix this. If so, can I run it in the same vertex reactor?

Yes and yes, I agree with the pulling it off because of high alk too as I found it will kill sps

I'm switching to kz salt once the wholesaler gets more in so I can run my biopellets again

Io has high alk as well

Taipan 12-17-2013 03:59 AM

Quote:

I'm uncertain of the impact to your alkalinity; but gfo should help your algae bloom. Secondly; you should be able to use gfo in your vertex reactor. I would make sure the sponge is not too porous such that it allows for gfo to pass through it.

Good luck.

chef 12-17-2013 04:05 AM

Thanx for the replies

thmh 12-17-2013 08:11 AM

I believe biopellet does not effect your alk. Did you just start using biopellets? also taking off biopellets cold turkey can cause more harm then good. I would keep the biopellets and run smaller amount gfo to fine tune your p04. Be careful when running gfo because overloading it can strip your tank so i recommend you looking into this product .

http://www.madjellycorals.com/#!prod...sphate-remover

Seriak 12-17-2013 02:30 PM

Running a high Alk with Bio Pellets can cause SPS tips to burn. This happens around 8 dkH. I would definitely take the bio pellets offline until you lower your Alk.

chef 12-17-2013 02:56 PM

I've been using pellets since the tank got wet a year ago. I don't have any Sps right now (that's another story). They have been offline for a few days. I'm going to j and l today to get some gfo. I'm guessing I should start real slow with it.

Taipan 12-17-2013 03:01 PM

In theory; starting anything slow is a good idea. However; if you do not currently have SPS - Using the 'regular/prescribed' dosage of gfo should be fine (as opposed to say, 1/2 dosage). That's my opinion.

kien 12-17-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

As others have already suggested, I would definitely take your biopellets off line if your alk is that high. I'm going through that right now with a bit of tip burn due to high Alk myself.

However, taking biopellets offline will not lower your alk so I am uncertain as to your statement, "I was advised to take my pellets offline to correct this." Again, taking BP offline will not correct your alk level. I would recommend water changes with regular Instant Ocean to lower the alk over the course of a few days or weeks.

And yes, you can run GFO to help with your algae issues probably due to a spike in Nitrates and/or phosphates. You can run it in your BP reactor so long as you take your pellets out.

Werbo 12-17-2013 04:53 PM

You don't have sps and have no problems other than alk at 9-10 dKH? I'd leave the BP online and not change anything and slowly lower your alk using a different salt.

BP use is unrelated to high alk levels