Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Red dragon loosing tissue...AAAAAAAAA! (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=101548)

mrhasan 10-17-2013 03:15 PM

Red dragon loosing tissue...AAAAAAAAA!

I bought a healthy red dragon on 15th and it did well on that day and yesterday. Today morning, I woke up to find large portion of it lost tissue over night. I know deep water are hard to keep and are known for doing this but I thought red dragon was different. I am going to frag the good portion. Any idea or suggestion?

reefermadness 10-17-2013 03:34 PM

My tyree red dragon has been rock solid for me and grows quite well. If you got it from MJC send me a PM and I'll see what we can do for you.

mrhasan 10-17-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reefermadness (Post 852120)
My tyree red dragon has been rock solid for me and grows quite well. If you got it from MJC send me a PM and I'll see what we can do for you.

It was from a LFS. I am planning on getting furan 2 to see how it goes. Fragged a small piece and set it aside on the other side of the tank. Sad morning :(

Proteus 10-17-2013 05:14 PM

Too bad Raied.

I lost my purple monster last night

wickedfrags 10-17-2013 05:15 PM

The real one has been in captivity since about 2001, and has a history of being hardy. Having owned it for 5-6 years, low light low flow. Use some superglue on the base to help stop the peeling if it is a small frag, sometimes that helps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrhasan (Post 852118)
I bought a healthy red dragon on 15th and it did well on that day and yesterday. Today morning, I woke up to find large portion of it lost tissue over night. I know deep water are hard to keep and are known for doing this but I thought red dragon was different. I am going to frag the good portion. Any idea or suggestion?

Craigdillman 10-17-2013 06:58 PM

Any chance anything stung it? long sweepers near it? Usually thats what i default to if all of a sudden a coral is doing bad and it happened real quick

You could try a coral dip like Coral RX and just wait it out see if the rest makes it

mrhasan 10-17-2013 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Proteus (Post 852133)
Too bad Raied.

I lost my purple monster last night

Sorry to hear that Nick. I guess Murfy went on rampage last night.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wickedfrags (Post 852134)
The real one has been in captivity since about 2001, and has a history of being hardy. Having owned it for 5-6 years, low light low flow. Use some superglue on the base to help stop the peeling if it is a small frag, sometimes that helps.

Thanks for the tip. That's what I did. Broke of small bits which looked better and glued them to separate pieces of rocks. Lets see what happens.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craigdillman (Post 852146)
Any chance anything stung it? long sweepers near it? Usually thats what i default to if all of a sudden a coral is doing bad and it happened real quick

You could try a coral dip like Coral RX and just wait it out see if the rest makes it

Nop no chance of that. I have experienced sweeper's attack and generally, that gives burns instead of RTN. This is possibly due to bacterial infection. I have dipped the coral in furan 2 since Daniella (from Montreal) had success with that; let's see whether it works. I will keep this thread updated.

mrhasan 10-18-2013 03:05 PM

Just to update the thread.....

I think fural 2 worked like a charm. I dipped the coral yesterday noon and from that time onward, the coral stopped loosing tissue (other than the ones that were already peeling off). Keeping my fingers crossed :)