Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Marine Fish (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Need help stocking... (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=100539)

Round fish 09-07-2013 06:43 PM

Need help stocking...

Ok so I added my first fish to my 29 gallon ( Sergeant major) and I need help figuring out what other fish I can put in.so far I've come up with 3 ideas

1 predator tank
1 seargent major
1 dwarf lionfish
1 snowflake eel ( juvenile)

2:mixed reef
1 seargent major
2 percula clown
1 watchmen goby
1 clown goby

3: carribean biotope
1 seargent major
1 neon goby
1 royal gamma
1 cherub angel
1 other carribean paleagic fish...

So which one should I go with?

mrhasan 09-07-2013 07:09 PM

One thing is can say is since you have chosen your first fish to be a damsel in a 29 gallon tank, you will hardly find any fish among your list which the damsel won't attack when introduced to that tank.

Also my personal opinion would be a 29gallon would a very bad choice for predatory fish because of their heavy bioload unless you have heavy filtration system.

Round fish 09-07-2013 07:19 PM

The damsel is actually pretty peacful and I had a fish with him at one point but it died due to a powerhead accident. And I realize the predator tank isn't a good choice.

Aysha 09-08-2013 12:26 AM

If you go with a royal Gramma or similar dottyback type fish be aware that they are SUPER aggressive to other goby fish :( I had one kill my hector goby over a hole in a rock the gramma wanted to sleep in.

Myka 09-08-2013 02:38 AM

More often than not, fish that have aggressive tendencies will be much more aggressive when housed in a small tank. Always add the most docile fish first and the most aggressive fish last. The Sergeant Major is not a good fish choice for a 29 gallon tank as they get much too large and much too aggressive when they do get bigger even if it is docile now. I would try to find another home for that fish and start from scratch. A Snowflake Eel would definitely be squishy in a 29 gallon tank and I would only recommend that if it was the only fish in the tank and you did big waterchanges to keep the water quality good since they do eat a lot (and then poop a lot).

Round fish 09-08-2013 03:28 AM

I read on diffrent sites that seargent majors are ok for nanos:question: newbie mistake I guess. And I think I'm gonna go with the biotope...

Myka 09-08-2013 03:50 AM

Hmmm, well there are many fish that go by the name "Sergeant Major", but the usual one referred to as a "Sergeant Major Damselfish" gets to be 6-8". Do you know which one yours is?

Round fish 09-08-2013 02:26 PM

Im pretty sure its the damselfish.

Round fish 09-08-2013 02:29 PM

I was also told by the sales clerk that there semi aggresive.( it was in a tank with some tomato clowns)

Myka 09-08-2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Round fish (Post 843885)
Im pretty sure its the damselfish.

Probably. They make better tankmates in big tanks where their adult aggression can be spread upon a larger population.