Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Filtration and Skimmer Specific (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=174)
-   -   Phosban reactor question (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=90023)

sully08 09-21-2012 10:28 PM

Phosban reactor question

I am getting ready to set up a phosban reactor. Do you run these reactors continuously or just when they are needed. Would it hurt to run them steady.

Salt2Death 09-21-2012 10:56 PM

Continually for your reactor. Nice slow bed movement, just enough to turn the media over

Sent Via Pirate Ship.......

Bblinks 09-21-2012 11:30 PM

I run my carbon at a slow flow, just enough for a small tumble at the surface of the media and for phosphate I run it with high flow.

Salt2Death 09-21-2012 11:47 PM

As per all my knowledge all media is to be slow tumble.... But you can double check anything and all advice from anyone. Lol

Sent Via Pirate Ship.......

gregzz4 09-22-2012 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bblinks (Post 748507)
I run my carbon at a slow flow, just enough for a small tumble at the surface of the media and for phosphate I run it with high flow.

Hmm ... maybe we could get some clarity here
I don't want to start an arguement :smile: but I've seen the opposite recommended

In the quote below ( taken from this thread ), Doug says higher flow for carbon, and lower flow for gfo
Quote:

Originally Posted by fishytime (Post 724226)
flow to carbon should be around 400-600 GPH and flow to GFO should be around 200-400 GPH....personally Ive only ever used "Rowaphos" and its supposed to look like boiling water when it has proper flow, so definitely not aggressively tumbling....cant speak for other kinds/brands of GFO

I've been running my carbon at a 'high boil' and my gfo at a more conservative 'rumble'

I've read 'boiling' carbon can allow particles to enter the DT and cause HLLE, so my carbon exits before my socks ...

What's the correct flow rates ?

Edit: To answer your question;
It's up to you. I run both of mine 24/7 but you could run them only when you need them

jorjef 09-22-2012 12:53 AM

^^^Trouble maker^^^^^

gregzz4 09-22-2012 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorjef (Post 748529)
^^^Trouble maker^^^^^

:mrgreen:

Cal_stir 09-22-2012 12:57 AM

I thought carbon was not to be tumbled as it grinds it up, I pack my carbon between sponges to keep it stationary.
I soft boil my gfo just enough to keep it moving throughout the reactor.

FragIt Dan 09-22-2012 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cal_stir (Post 748531)
I thought carbon was not to be tumbled as it grinds it up, I pack my carbon between sponges to keep it stationary.
I soft boil my gfo just enough to keep it moving throughout the reactor.

+1 ... I am under the impression that tumbling carbon erodes it which releases carbon dust into the tank. I have read some primary literature that showed the carbon dust can cause a disease in some species of fish. I have always fixed my carbon in place (ie inside a bag or between sponges) and fluidized my GFO at a light tumble.
Dan

Dan

gregzz4 09-22-2012 01:52 AM

So what I've read, and been told, about using 1 cup of carbon in a TLF 150 for my 110g total system is not the best idea ...
I see the point where there will be no concern about carbon break-down and subsequent HLLE, or other issues, with a full reactor

Guess I'll be filling my reactor to the top from now on :smile: