Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Polls (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Anyone got pest critters?? Discuss.. (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=95106)

kien 02-25-2013 08:48 PM

Anyone got pest critters?? Discuss..

got pests? or maybe had and vanquished them? Let's discuss!

I've had pretty much all of the above!

Asterina Starfish - Still got them.
Vermetid snails - had them early on, died out or hunted down maybe?
Pyramidellid nails - died out or hunted down ?
Aiptasia - none that I can see in the tank (have pepperment shrimp) but have some in my overflow box.
Evil crabs - slowly hunted them down over the years. Still one left that I occasionally see at night.
Planaria flatworms - hitchhiked on some live rock once. My wrasses took car of them quick.
Red Bugs - got from a bad frag. Nuked with Interceptor.
Zoanthid eating spiders - Caught one out of a zoa colony once. Haven't seen any since.
Zoanthid eating nudibranches - had lots at one point but none seen since adding a leopard wrasse a couple of years ago.
Other hobbyists - Lastlight still parks in front of my house all the time :neutral:

Ross 02-25-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 796667)
got pests?
Other hobbyists - Lastlight still parks in front of my house all the time :neutral:

:rofl:
Thankfully I haven't had that particular pest.
A large number of those pests wont make the drive to the north end, So I luck out that way.

My Tanks have had:
Flatworms
Bumble Bee Snails
Evil Hairy Crabs
Colonial Hydroids
and 2 Aptasia that I just cant get to.

oh and Blue clove polyps and Kenya tree's those should be on the list.

RuGlu6 02-25-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 796663)
got pests? Let's discuss!

What are your plans about it? LOL make him bring :pizza: and :hungry:
Kidding aside i have a Bobbit worm in my tank, he moves rocks so big i am afraid to imaging how big the worm itself is.

sphelps 02-25-2013 08:56 PM

Currently I'm dealing with pest anemones of the bubble tip variety. Seemed fine at first but now they seem to be popping up everywhere and causing serious damage to SPS corals. I remove them when I can but most are on rocks that aren't accessible without major rework. I'm considering lethal methods but reluctant as many other hobbyists seem to want them and occasionally find my clown fish housing them :cry:

kien 02-25-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross (Post 796668)
:rofl:
Thankfully I haven't had that particular pest.
A large number of those pests wont make the drive to the north end, So I luck out that way.

My Tanks have had:
Flatworms
Bumble Bee Snails
Evil Hairy Crabs
Colonial Hydroids
and 2 Aptasia that I just cant get to.

oh and Blue clove polyps and Kenya tree's those should be on the list.

Oo, I forgot about the hyroids!! ya, good call, I have those buggers.

Baldy 02-25-2013 09:05 PM

I've become so frustrated with my aiptasia that I'm about to build a zapper for them. And I have asternia stars I don't know why people consider them pests tho, mine dont hurt anything

kien 02-25-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baldy (Post 796677)
I've become so frustrated with my aiptasia that I'm about to build a zapper for them. And I have asternia stars I don't know why people consider them pests tho, mine dont hurt anything

this ?

Leah 02-25-2013 10:20 PM

Crabs...back to the Dr.'s. I go

subman 02-26-2013 04:22 AM

Blue cloves for sure!
I'm also fighting the odd zoa eating nudi. My wrasses are doing a great job in my display (haven't seen any zoas closing at all in months) but I found my new candy apple reds closed up in my frag section and after a quick dip I saw what seemed to be a nudi. I think I need to add a wrasse to my frag section.

kien 02-26-2013 04:25 AM

I love blue cloves!! :-).

.. And yes I know I'm the only person on this planet who does.