Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Horrible news - in shock (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=101760)

saltyair 10-25-2013 11:43 AM

Horrible news - in shock

1 Attachment(s)
I got bad news from the Vet yesterday that my 5yr old standard poodle Cherish has terminal cancer. She developed a little bump on her hind quarter we thought was from hurting herself going up the stairs. She seems in great health and eating just fine.

She was diagnosed with Canine Hemangiosarcoma nasty cancer.

anyone have experience with this? what did happen? any hope? still in shockhttp://www.reefcentral.com/forums/im...thumbsdown.gif

this is her photo:
Attachment 12091

IanWR 10-25-2013 12:47 PM

You have my sympathy. Facing the loss of a loved one is never easy.

I don't have experience with this specific type of cancer. I know that some years ago our family had a beagle that was diagnosed with a terminal liver cancer. He was given a few months, and we were told by the vet that this type of cancer would basically not cause pain but rather fatigue and he would probably end up dieing in his sleep. He ended up living another 2 years but in a progressively worse state. I know I wish that we had helped him go gentle into that good night a long time before it finally happened. So as long as your pal is seems well enjoy their company and let them enjoy their life. Just be brave when it becomes obvious that they're suffering.

- Ian

Proteus 10-25-2013 12:48 PM

My Akita got cancer we tried meds. After a week he developed sores where there was bare skin. Nose,paws,underside. Got so bad that he couldn't sit down. Meds were $1000 a month.

Needless to say I had no choice to put my boy down a 7 years old.

Dearth 10-25-2013 12:58 PM

I have had 2 cats with terminal cancer one with kidney and the other with breast cancer. Both lived for about 7 months after diagnoses and until the last month of their lives were active and showed no outward signs of pain then suddenly literally overnight both went from active to hiding sleeping cats that were showing signs of distress but it took me a week or so to notice the signs and it was finally time to take them on a one way trip to the vet.

The choice ultimately is yours you can keep your dog till it shows signs or you can choose to say your goodbyes now either way it will suck the big one no matter what you decide and while it is just an animal it is also part of the family.

Magickiwi 10-25-2013 01:28 PM

Reading your post made me feel very sad. I have two standard poodles including an apricot like yours. They aren't just pets, standards have a way of becoming children in your heart.

It sounds like you will have some time with her which should give you a proper chance to spoil her before you have to say goodbye. Cherish every moment with her.

thmh 10-25-2013 02:47 PM

So sorry for your horrible news David, best of luck with Cherish!

~Tony

michika 10-25-2013 03:12 PM

I couldn't even make it through the first page of your thread on RC.

I'm so sorry to hear this news. She's a beautiful dog and I'm sure she brings you the utmost joy and happiness to your life.

saltyair 10-25-2013 03:32 PM

Thanks Ian - yea we were considering treatment options - but all of the options would put her in pain and would only give her a year max - just don't think it would be fair to her. I would rather give her 6 months of running in the fields and woods than a year of pain sitting on the couch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IanWR (Post 853820)
You have my sympathy. Facing the loss of a loved one is never easy.

I don't have experience with this specific type of cancer. I know that some years ago our family had a beagle that was diagnosed with a terminal liver cancer. He was given a few months, and we were told by the vet that this type of cancer would basically not cause pain but rather fatigue and he would probably end up dieing in his sleep. He ended up living another 2 years but in a progressively worse state. I know I wish that we had helped him go gentle into that good night a long time before it finally happened. So as long as your pal is seems well enjoy their company and let them enjoy their life. Just be brave when it becomes obvious that they're suffering.

- Ian

saltyair 10-25-2013 03:36 PM

oh she is a hunter princess and will be pampered to the max - treats and hikes galore.
still so hard, they are apart of your everyday life and bring so much joy - it will be tough. We also have a black standard they are best friends and have never been apart since we brought Cherish home.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magickiwi (Post 853827)
Reading your post made me feel very sad. I have two standard poodles including an apricot like yours. They aren't just pets, standards have a way of becoming children in your heart.

It sounds like you will have some time with her which should give you a proper chance to spoil her before you have to say goodbye. Cherish every moment with her.

saltyair 10-25-2013 03:38 PM

thanks Michika
yea was going through so many emotions as we tried to find a solution or treatment plan. nothing that was feasible to give her a quality of life

Quote:

Originally Posted by michika (Post 853860)
I couldn't even make it through the first page of your thread on RC.

I'm so sorry to hear this news. She's a beautiful dog and I'm sure she brings you the utmost joy and happiness to your life.