Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   How many days do you premix for water changes? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=13444)

Vagabond 01-23-2005 04:14 PM

How many days do you premix for water changes?

Just curious as to everyones practices for mixing their water for water changes :question: .

I do a 10% water change every week to 10 days. My routine is to mix up the change water about 72hrs before, leaving a Mag 1 in the bucket to circulate and make sure all the salt dissolves well. 24hrs before I change the water I throw in an airstone to make sure the water is well oxygenated.

Are there any advantages/benefits of this practice, or are you equally well off by just mixing and changing the same day?

StirCrazy 01-23-2005 04:18 PM

I mix mine anywhere from 15 min to a day be for the change. I would say as long as you go over night with a standard mixing you are fine. I just drop a mag 3 in the bucket when I do the overnight mix, but my 15 minute special I basically use a propeller to froth up the water good and it has worked fine.

Steve

Invigor 01-23-2005 04:23 PM

i give it about 24hrs with a venturi powerhead and a heater..

Beverly 01-23-2005 05:06 PM

We use about 30g of NSW for water changes in our three tanks each week. After the water changes, we clean and begin filling the two rubbermaid trashcans with RO/DI water for the next week's water change. Once each trashcan is full, we aerate it and heat it. The day before the water change, we add salt, mix it well with the pumps that have been aerating, and aerate and mix until the water change.

Aquattro 01-23-2005 05:12 PM

I do as Beverly does, although I add the salt as soon as the can is full. It can then aerate until the next water change, anywhere from 7 to 30 days away.

marie 01-23-2005 06:29 PM

I do the same as reef_raf, you never know when there will be an emergency :biggrin:

Chad 01-23-2005 06:33 PM

I used to do it like reef-raf.. but it seems whenever I have unused mixed salt / water waiting for longer than 3 days it starts to develope nitrates. So now I just mix the day before.

Dabbler 01-23-2005 07:27 PM

I too try for a day in advance with a heater and a cap 5000 power head I do about 20 gal a week ( if I remember) and i am trying to do it more diligantly :rolleyes:

StirCrazy 01-23-2005 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reef_raf
I do as Beverly does, although I add the salt as soon as the can is full. It can then aerate until the next water change, anywhere from 7 to 30 days away.

My wife wouldn't allow a garbage can of water to sit in the kitchen that long :rolleyes:

Steve

Aquattro 01-23-2005 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StirCrazy
Quote:

Originally Posted by reef_raf

My wife wouldn't allow a garbage can of water to sit in the kitchen that long :rolleyes:

Steve

Sorry to hear that. Maybe I should talk to her for you? :razz: