Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Calgary (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Anyone know of a good fence builder in calgary (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=114412)

riceboy 06-03-2015 07:02 AM

Anyone know of a good fence builder in calgary

Hey guys I'm looking for someone to tear down my fence in replace my fence with either composite or cedar. Can anyone tell me what I'm expecting per linear ft.

sphelps 06-03-2015 07:31 PM

DIY bud. Fences are easy and a good excuse to take a few days off work to enjoy the outdoors. Could walk you through it. Alternatively I know a couple guys, not sure on cost but they are private so typically cheaper than most.

JmeJReefer 06-03-2015 08:59 PM

Fence

Composite is a newish technology that i considered for the deck, but found through reviews and forums that it is more problems than its worth, and exponentially higher in cost. the Big one for me is the mold/mildew problem as i have kids. It fades, warps, and pretty much does whatever it says it wouldnt....my two cents.

Cedar is a bit pricey as well but a solid and reliable wood that looks great and can be stained a range of colors.

Biulding a fence is quite simple and it is pure robbery for some companies to charge what they do for that sort of work. The big work portion is the posts. after that, pretty much builds itself!!!

good luck

Jpower 06-03-2015 10:42 PM

I had about 80 feet done in cedar just before winter. Fence is 6 feet high and dbl sided. Lumber alone was $4400, $6400 total. Had them build a gate for an rv and 2 normal walkthrough gates. If I had a choice I would personally go with vinyl or steel. These are zero maintenance and will last a looong time.

Jesse

lastlight 06-04-2015 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpower (Post 952683)
If I had a choice I would personally go with vinyl or steel. These are zero maintenance and will last a looong time.

unless you accidentally lean on it. we've got vinyl and you can't hang planters on it unless they're very light. very easy to wiggle the entire length. assuming you don't push too hard on it however yes i'm sure it will last ages.

riceboy 06-04-2015 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lastlight (Post 952811)
unless you accidentally lean on it. we've got vinyl and you can't hang planters on it unless they're very light. very easy to wiggle the entire length. assuming you don't push too hard on it however yes i'm sure it will last ages.

really they are flimsy? i was hoping to get something that would last and not blown over in the wind.

lastlight 06-04-2015 02:43 PM

they're definitely flimsy in my opinion. they look fantastic and should last far longer than a traditional fence if you treat them well. just don't have kids and they should last FOREVER.