Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Polls (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   How do you charge for frags? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=122356)

SoloSK71 02-05-2017 06:38 PM

How do you charge for frags?

A couple of threads on Reef Central and here made me wonder. How do you determine what do you charge for the frags that you sell?

Charles

SoloSK71 02-05-2017 06:49 PM

I personally sell frags at a price that helps me recovery some of the costs for supplies, food, chemicals, etc.

I don't know what I will do when some of the more expensive ones are ready to frag.

Charles

somafish 02-05-2017 07:10 PM

If I bought it from a retailer, I try to make it a point not to sell what I payed. Im a hobbyist so I have no right to ask those prices. I bought a Jawbreaker for $550, I sell them for $300-350 depending on color. If I bought it from a fellow hobbyist I don't mind keeping it that price.

Something to keep in mind for higher priced corals from vendors is its not like they are price gouging. Chances are they payed a pretty penny to get it into Canada, they have their overhead costs and if it is rare why wouldn't you charge a premium

SoloSK71 02-05-2017 08:08 PM

I am not questioning the retailer pricing, I am asking about people who buy these ultra high end frags and then have 5, 10, 15 frags after a year or two and how they price them.

I bought a 1" frag of RR Kush for $200, but when it gets to a size that I feel comfortable getting some frags from it, I don't think I will sell them for more than $40 or so. That recovers some of my costs, gets some beautiful frags in other peoples tanks who might never have gotten something like this.

Similarly, I bought a colony of green trumpets (call them toxic or nuclear, the naming has been some mixed no on can really tell any more) for about $100 for something like 60 to 80 heads. I sold those frags for $5 per frag (not per head) to get the colony to a size that would fit in the tank I had at the time.

Charles

DKoKoMan 02-05-2017 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoloSK71 (Post 1007808)

I bought a 1" frag of RR Kush for $200, but when it gets to a size that I feel comfortable getting some frags from it, I don't think I will sell them for more than $40 or so. That recovers some of my costs, gets some beautiful frags in other peoples tanks who might never have gotten something like this.

Charles

Glad to hear! :smile: it's nice to see your colony grow, be fragged and sold at a decent cost. This allows more reefers to get a piece of the pie IMO. Unless that is your sole business, I look at it as recovering some cost and helping another out.

Scythanith 02-05-2017 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somafish (Post 1007806)
If I bought it from a retailer, I try to make it a point not to sell what I payed. Im a hobbyist so I have no right to ask those prices. I bought a Jawbreaker for $550, I sell them for $300-350 depending on color. If I bought it from a fellow hobbyist I don't mind keeping it that price.

Something to keep in mind for higher priced corals from vendors is its not like they are price gouging. Chances are they payed a pretty penny to get it into Canada, they have their overhead costs and if it is rare why wouldn't you charge a premium

Have any frags? PM me :)

SoloSK71 02-05-2017 10:30 PM

I am not sure you can frag from a 1" frag :) but when I have some they I will let you know.

Charles

Scythanith 02-05-2017 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoloSK71 (Post 1007817)
I am not sure you can frag from a 1" frag :) but when I have some they I will let you know.

Charles

I know someone with the WD tenuis that may be worth trading some jawbreaker for ;)

iceman86 02-06-2017 12:14 AM

I usually price them for the going local hobby rate, not the store rate. When people come I usually throw in a couple extra for free. Happened to me a couple times before so I just pass it on.

Just last week a guy wanted to trade a couple frags with me, I just gave him 8 different frags without a trade. Usually if I know the people and they are good people I just give it to them free.

Dearth 02-06-2017 01:45 AM

I don't frag often but when I do everything is at a low price

If I wanted to make money I would of gotten into something cheaper but I have salt water so I do my part to help out others. Believe it or not I have had people become very angry because I was selling cheap and people won't buy from them. Each to their own