Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Marine Fish (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Are all Wrasses jumpers? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=113181)

GoFish 03-27-2015 09:00 PM

Are all Wrasses jumpers?

I'd love to have a wrasse in 60 gallon tank but really don't wanna put a top on it. Water level is about 2" below the rim

Any wrasses that are known non-jumpers?

Thanks in advance

duncangweller 03-27-2015 09:39 PM

My 93 is uncovered and I have 3 wrasseseseses. Neither of them have gone airborne yet (touch wood). Clown fish has hit the hard wood before though.

straightrazorguy 03-27-2015 09:48 PM

In my experience wrasses and gobies don't jump until they do. They may be OK for years and then, one day they carpet surf. Then you wish you had a cover....

corpusse 03-28-2015 03:12 AM

Assuming your uncovered tank is disease free carpet surfing will likely be their cause of death.

Dearth 03-28-2015 04:08 AM

I've lost 3 wrasse to suicide by carpet and I have had a lid on if something spooks them they will jump lid or not I've had a lawnmower blennie and a lubbocks wrasse break the egg crate over top my aquarium.

Now the nasty part is over generally speaking if you have a ton of uncontested hiding spots or a deep sanded your wrasse will most likely be fine hiding is their first option when scared and second option is generally another hiding spot the last resort generally is to jump.

christyf5 03-28-2015 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by straightrazorguy (Post 942765)
In my experience wrasses and gobies don't jump until they do. They may be OK for years and then, one day they carpet surf. Then you wish you had a cover....

pretty much says it all. I had some jump, some not jump for years until they jumped. If you get a wrasse, get a lid or you'll have fish jerky on the floor.

gregzz4 03-28-2015 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dearth (Post 942789)
the last resort generally is to jump.

My wrasses only jump. They don't go for cover, just straight out of the water and 'bam' into the light cover. Sometimes its a simple thing such as feeding, sometimes it's 'cause they don't like their own reflection

Quote:

Originally Posted by christyf5 (Post 942790)
If you get a wrasse, get a lid or you'll have fish jerky on the floor.

Pretty much sums it up for all wrasses
I've had them for coming up on 3 years now and have noticed some hit the light that never did any 'spooked' things in the past

It would appear that they just shoot 'straight up' when spooked, so there's nothing you can do about it

BTW, I had a 2" Lubbock's go straight through regular eggcrate :surprise::surprise::surprise:
The flapping on top of the crate woke me up and I put her (well actually him) back in the tank before she flopped her way to the edge of the tank.
That was enough to cause me to build a light (pseudo canopy) surround that protects the fish and blocks light bleed. It's in my build thread if you can find it

Aquattro 03-28-2015 04:33 AM

I've always wondered, do wrasses do this in the wild? It would seem counter intuitive to run out into the open vs ducking for cover. Better take a trip to research this...:)

christyf5 03-28-2015 04:34 AM

well I would imagine that any ejection from the water would just land them right back in unless they did it next to an exposed rock or something. A lot of watery landscape in comparison to our tanks :wink:

But you go check, just to make sure :razz:

Aquattro 03-28-2015 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christyf5 (Post 942796)
well I would imagine that any ejection from the water would just land them right back in unless they did it next to an exposed rock or something. A lot of watery landscape in comparison to our tanks :wink:

But you go check, just to make sure :razz:

Ya, not saying they beach themselves, but leaving the water to escape a predator just lands them fairly close back in the water with said predator. No?