Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Calgary (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Fish stores Calgary (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=117949)

somafish 02-04-2016 01:12 AM

Wai's has great corals (best in the city probably) and decent fish (sometimes). That doesn't mean everyone else who sells the same thing for less has inferior livestock.

Golds selling a tang for $30 dollars less then Wai's, doesn't mean it was from some crooked vendor. Heck i bet you the tangs came in on the same plane. Golds just knows if they sell cheaper we all keep coming back(which I do!)Plus, I know they quarantine all their new arrivals judging by Wai's tanks sometimes i think not.

If anything it kinda shows Wai's is price gouging a little for the same exact items. I've never seen a fish/coral/chemical etc. At Wai's that's price was just unbeatable. Not trying to start a fight but going back to the OP, if I was just starting out I would rather pay $15 for a clownfish rather then $30. Especially when they are the same thing.......... PS I do most my shopping at Petland

mihaivapler 02-04-2016 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btuck887 (Post 981320)
Highly agree with somafish. Been into Wai's countless times, bought a few things here and there, and never once had a warm reception. On the other hand, you cross the street to Ocean creations and you greeted with a big smile and great service. Oceans may not have the coral selection that Wai's has but I would prefer to spend my money in a shop that treats me as a valued customer and not just a walking wad of cash!

+1..he is a super guy,i buy most of my fish from him never had one sick..

ReganY 02-27-2016 07:05 PM

Need to update the list, reef wonderland has shut down. He is only doing tank maintenance now.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Fin2you 02-27-2016 07:55 PM

Thanks for the heads up, I will do that now!!!

ReganY 02-27-2016 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fin2you (Post 984027)
Thanks for the heads up, I will do that now!!!

No problem! I didn't even know until I showed up the other day.

Fin2you 02-27-2016 08:09 PM

Reef Wonderland has closed, apparently though Riverfront will be reopening. I will search for more info & post again!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fin2you (Post 980615)
We were just talking about this on the local fb group page!
A bunch of us have been checking out the small stores in Calgary & our experiences are spread thru the page. I thought we could gather it in 1 spot for others? Any other shops missing?
~ Concept Aquariums 1313 44Ave NE
~ Golds Aquarium 4710 17 Ave SE
~ Ocean Creation 233 16ave NW
~ Wais Aquarium 222, 16Ave NE

iamfrontosa 02-28-2016 10:12 AM

Riverfront reopening? what? I thought Wayne (Riverfront's owner) now works at Concepts as store manager. Concepts has also converted half of their store unit to fresh water fish. Also has some lizards.

Fin2you 02-28-2016 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamfrontosa (Post 984096)
Riverfront reopening? what? I thought Wayne (Riverfront's owner) now works at Concepts as store manager. Concepts has also converted half of their store unit to fresh water fish. Also has some lizards.

That might be the case I had just heard he was looking for a new location.

ReganY 02-28-2016 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamfrontosa (Post 984096)

That's interesting, I haven't seen any lizards or freshwater there yet and j was in last week. No idea why they would want to add fresh and reptiles. Their niche market was perfect.

iamfrontosa 02-28-2016 03:59 PM

The small rooms end of store front has lizards or frogs. Not sure. I wasnt really into reptiles. Half of the glass work area (back room) also has numerous tanks for freshwater stuffs.