Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   DIY (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Un-leveled tank (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=76368)

dynamite 06-20-2011 10:26 PM

Un-leveled tank

I just realized my tank is unleveled by 0.5cm in the left side... Should I'll be concerned? :neutral:

I bought the stand at my LFS and it's sitting on a carpet floor.

Thanks.

Trigger Man 06-20-2011 10:54 PM

you want a tank to be as level as possible, but from my past experience, my 5 footer slanted about that much from one side to the other, and i had no probs

dynamite 06-20-2011 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trigger Man (Post 619323)
you want a tank to be as level as possible, but from my past experience, my 5 footer slanted about that much from one side to the other, and i had no probs

For how long did you have your tank?
I've had mine like this for 3 years and I didn't have a problem so far *Knocks on wood* But I read a threat on RC and now I can't sleep lol...:mrgreen:

Trigger Man 06-20-2011 11:26 PM

i had mine for around 4 years before i sold it. no probs for mine. It was also eurobraced and ran a wavemaker system on it.

Flash 06-20-2011 11:44 PM

my 33 is slanted..but doing fine, has been for 2 years! It will continue to be slanted as long as i am waiting on this 50gl i've had my eye on to replace it! lol!

globaldesigns 06-21-2011 02:40 AM

My tank is 5 ft, and when put in, it was 100% level... Once I put water in, it was out by a bit (Not much, but you can see it)... Anyways it has been almost 3 years and no problems. In my case I do believe the styro layer compressed unevenly, but not sure.

I wouldn't worry about it. I think trying to fix the slight uneveness may cause more issues, like even cracking the tank! In my case I am ok with it. I have a level with the tank and check it occasionally and it hasn't changed ever since first filling it up.

As with others, mine is euro-braced running wavemakers.

The Grizz 06-21-2011 04:53 AM

Many people have asked me why I put leveling screws on my personal tank stand & this is why. I really don't think that you have anything to worry about as long as the tank have not moved at all since day one.

eli@fijireefrock.com 06-21-2011 05:06 AM

i have a 6 footer.When installed was perfectly 100% leveled.
for about 10mth now slanted o one side for about 1/4' with no problems.And like globaldesigns i think the styro helps.
I do like The Grizz idea with pacing leveling screws on a tank helps keeping it all leveled.

kien 06-21-2011 05:23 AM

I am also in the un-level tank club! woohoo! We need t-shirts. My tank was level when I started and the stand is still level so ya, the foam did not compress evenly I guess. Has been like this for a couple of years now. Off by about half a centimeter to a centimeter as well.

globaldesigns 06-21-2011 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 619422)
I am also in the un-level tank club! woohoo! We need t-shirts. My tank was level when I started and the stand is still level so ya, the foam did not compress evenly I guess. Has been like this for a couple of years now. Off by about half a centimeter to a centimeter as well.

Glad I am not the only one... And yes we need t-shirts, so Lastlight get on it! I would buy one for sure.

Grizz, I like your idea of the leveling screws, but I do think having my stand with 100% contact on the floor is the best, so I can live with the slight slant. Not sure about the wieght/pressure on those screws, but again I am not a master welder like you :)