Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Polls (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Filter sock or no filter sock? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44987)

trilinearmipmap 09-15-2008 04:03 AM

Filter sock or no filter sock?

I've never used a filter sock because I figured they would collect a lot of gunk. However my sump seems to be full of gunk and I noticed a lot of the TOTM's on Reef Central use filter socks. Just wondering how many people are using filter socks vs. not using them, and why.

marie 09-15-2008 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap (Post 345517)
I've never used a filter sock because I figured they would collect a lot of gunk. However my sump seems to be full of gunk and I noticed a lot of the TOTM's on Reef Central use filter socks. Just wondering how many people are using filter socks vs. not using them, and why.

I've never used them because I'm lazy and it seems like removing gunk should be a skimmers job :mrgreen:

Lord know I paid enough for my skimmer, I figure it should be washing my dishes as well :lol:

Marlin65 09-15-2008 04:23 AM

I use them changed weekly. My sump is nice and clean other than the sponges that grow there.:smile:

banditpowdercoat 09-15-2008 04:25 AM

sometimes i do, sometimes i dont. havn"t figured if i likr thrm or not

christyf5 09-15-2008 04:25 AM

I use them, it keeps the gunk out of my sump. Doesn't do much for the main tank really, the detritus still piles up. If I could only get the fish to crap directly into the sock my tank would be fantastic :razz:

Lance 09-15-2008 04:29 AM

I use them. Change every 3 to 4 days.

fkshiu 09-15-2008 04:30 AM

As long as you're diligent enough to swap them out regularly they do a great job of catching crud and other particulates before they have a chance to turn into DOCs. A lot less crap in my sump since I started using them.

mark 09-15-2008 05:06 AM

they do collect a lot of gunk, that's a good reason to use them. Figure if the gunk not being taken out by the sock it's just staying in the tank.

untamed 09-15-2008 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark (Post 345543)
they do collect a lot of gunk, that's a good reason to use them. Figure if the gunk not being taken out by the sock it's just staying in the tank.

That gunk is somebody's food!

I don't use them, but I do rinse out one of my sumps every week. The other sump gets partially vaccuumed every year or two.

Delphinus 09-15-2008 06:17 AM

I use them in one tank but primarily for microbubble control.

I find it a huge pain to remove them and wash them. They are pretty disgusting after a week. And I hate that everytime I take it out, I'm killing about a billion copepods, brittle stars, bristleworms, etc. etc. etc. so I spend a ridiculous amount of time picking those off and tossing them back into tank, all the while cursing myself for caring too dang much.

Not sure whether to vote "yes" or "no" since it's only 1 tank I use them on. I don't really notice a difference in overall water quality. However the tanks I don't use them on, one of them I hose out every few months (it's a 20g tank so easy enough to empty and clean), and the other is a huge brown goo accumulation device and probably *should* be hosed out every few months - been a more yearly occurence in that one - and it's gruesome when it comes time to do it.

So pros and cons for sure.