Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Best CA reactor? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=127725)

Millepora_Maniac 02-14-2019 09:20 PM

Best CA reactor?

HI All,

I'm getting a CA reactor in the next week or so and wanted some opinions on the best ones. Currently looking at the Korralin 150, and the reef octopus 200. i am open to look at other units too though.

I used to run a 6" PM reactor, but the chamber has spidered and i think it could potentially leak. This reactor will eventually run a 200 gallon tank so it has to be able to handle that amount of SPS. The PM CA-6 worked flawlessly on my 180 for years, so looking for that kind of stability and reliability again.

Cheers!

Millepora_Maniac 02-15-2019 11:04 PM

I didn;t get any replies, which is unusual for this forum.

I chose to go with the Korralin 150, it won because of the footprint, 6'5 inches total? Sweet!

It has been shipped this afternoon and i should see it at some point next week.

Richard_Dicosimo 02-16-2019 04:56 AM

Congrats on your new toy!

Bblinks 02-16-2019 10:27 PM

Awesome buddy! I just got one too but went with vertex. It’s a decent unit for the price.

Millepora_Maniac 02-20-2019 10:50 PM

It has been running for 24 hours now, I'm, about to do my first test of effluent and test of tank water. Got lots of SPS going now so need it. It didn't leak! hahahha

Cheers dude!

smokinreefer 02-20-2019 11:32 PM

Awesome.
I didn't respond because I've been too lazy to set my reactor up.

How will you be running yours?
Fast drip?
Controlled by pH?
Full open method?

Ken 02-21-2019 03:39 AM

Hi there, you won't regret it, the korallin 150 is an awesome reactor, been using them for years. regards ken

Millepora_Maniac 02-22-2019 04:38 PM

After reading up on this reactor a bit, i found the best way to do it is to have the effluent line dripping at two drops every 3 seconds, and the bubble counter to be around the same.

I have the bleeder valve dripping at one or two drips per minute to avoid any air locks.

Apparently this unit shouldn't need a probe, but i will likely get a ph controller in the near future and add it since the port is already there in the lid. In fact, i have a reefkeeper lite, and i have a PH controller for it already, so i just need a decent probe, and that will be all dialled in.

Cheers!

msjboy 02-27-2019 06:39 AM

I recall Jason fox uses Georeef calcium reactor for a reef builders video a whiles ago.... he even uses that brand on his small tank.

Millepora_Maniac 02-27-2019 05:24 PM

This thing is finicky, my last one was easy to run. This one i am having problems with drip rates and air locking.

I just reduced my CO2 bubble rate. hoping that fixes it, but really annoying. Been adjusting this thing for days...

Gonna get a controller for it, and see what happens from there.