Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Why all the AI's for sale? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=95127)

mark 02-26-2013 03:03 AM

Why all the AI's for sale?

Seems like everyone is selling theirs, something new for around the same price I missed that's come out?

Was thinking about a set rather than replacing my MH bulbs when they're due but seeing so many FS lately has me wondering if I should stay away.

xenon 02-26-2013 03:12 AM

They might all be upgrading to the new full spectrum AI Vega.

Nano 02-26-2013 03:18 AM

Yes.

Also a lot upgraded to radions when the price cam down or the new ghl mitras I myself sold mine as I'm taking a leave of absence so to speak from salt water.

Aquattro 02-26-2013 03:32 AM

I just ordered another for my frag tank.

Madmak 02-26-2013 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 796845)
I just ordered another for my frag tank.

Are you having good luck with the Sol as a frag tank light? White or Blue? I am considering using one.

subman 02-26-2013 03:51 AM

I use one over my frag section and I think it's a great light, with good growth and seems bullet proof.
That being said I'm not sure I would love it over my display as its missing the full spectrum.

Aquattro 02-26-2013 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madmak (Post 796850)
Are you having good luck with the Sol as a frag tank light? White or Blue? I am considering using one.

Haven't got it yet, but since that's the light I run over my display, I'm confident it will give the same results. It gives great color and growth, and sufficient penetration to the lower areas of the tank.
Perhaps not full spectrum, but I prefer a bluer look. Still not convinced that all the schmancy colors of other lights does anything different.
If I were re-purchasing lights, I would buy them again. Great value for the cost, comparable to Radions in my opinion, and great control using my Apex.

edit: I use the Blue model

Madmak 02-26-2013 04:03 AM

I have 2 Mitras over my DT that I really like but for my frag tank I was considering the Sol. I'm not too concerned with looks, but more with good growth and a low risk of bleaching.

Aquattro 02-26-2013 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madmak (Post 796860)
I have 2 Mitras over my DT that I really like but for my frag tank I was considering the Sol. I'm not too concerned with looks, but more with good growth and a low risk of bleaching.

I think you'll be more than happy with it, although they are bright. Mitras are brighter, so you shouldn't have to manage bleaching too much. Colors will be fine too, and great growth. I'm considering lowering mine to slow growth a bit.

subman 02-26-2013 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madmak (Post 796860)

That is exactly what I'm using and the growth difference is minimal I do have my sol closer to the frags to compensate for the intensity difference. I haven't had any issues moving any corals from frag section to DT.

I'm using my profilux to control it which is great because the AI controller is junk.