Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Confusion over Reactors - Input appreciated (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=103680)

WarDog 01-02-2014 12:21 AM

Confusion over Reactors - Input appreciated

As some may know I am setting up my first system and have been doing tons of research. So much research that I believe I am starting to confuse myself in regards to which reactors I need to run, and combinations thereof. The following is a list of reactors I am planning for my sump. Please let me know if this sounds like a well rounded setup and if it covers all the bases, or if one might cancel out another. Tank will be a 65gal mixed coral with approx. 20-30gal sump. Thanks!

Carbon and Phosphate (not mixed together) in one (1) TLF 150 reactor

Calcium reactor

Bio-pellet reactor

Zeo-Vit reactor (added approx. 1 year down the road when I begin to add SPS)

intarsiabox 01-02-2014 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarDog (Post 870491)
As some may know I am setting up my first system and have been doing tons of research. So much research that I believe I am starting to confuse myself in regards to which reactors I need to run, and combinations thereof. The following is a list of reactors I am planning for my sump. Please let me know if this sounds like a well rounded setup and if it covers all the bases, or if one might cancel out another. Tank will be a 65gal mixed coral with approx. 20-30gal sump. Thanks!

Carbon and Phosphate (not mixed together) in one (1) TLF 150 reactor

Calcium reactor

Bio-pellet reactor

Zeo-Vit reactor (added approx. 1 year down the road when I begin to add SPS)

Bio-Pellet and zeovit reactors can not be run at the same time. I would wait to see if you even need a calcium reactor, dosing is another alternative if you need it. If you want to wait on the zeovit reactor I would just run a carbon and a GFO reactor for now. You also won't need the GFO when the zeovit comes on line. Or you could just start right off with Zeo and carbon.

mark 01-02-2014 12:30 AM

guess this ties into Dearth post about changing ways. Say this since there are reef tanks out there without any of the equipment listed

intarsiabox 01-02-2014 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark (Post 870495)
guess this ties into Dearth post about changing ways. Say this since there are reef tanks out there without any of the equipment listed

True enough. I only had a carbon reactor for awhile but it was PITA to change carbon in it so I just went back to passive flow. I have yet to see a reef system that is set up and maintained the exact same way, some look really good, some don't. There is no real magic bullet.

Aquattro 01-02-2014 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intarsiabox (Post 870505)
There is no real magic bullet.

except water changes :)

intarsiabox 01-02-2014 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 870507)
except water changes :)

You're supposed to change the water???:lol:

brotherd 01-02-2014 01:46 AM

That's crazy talk. LOL! Change your water and test. Adjust accordingly. Be patient.