Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   vacuuming sand (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=94763)

chef 02-16-2013 12:09 AM

vacuuming sand

Up until recently I thought that disturbing the sand bed was a big no-no.
Then i saw a local reef guru vacuuming and mentioning its very important. Do any of you folks with long term success with a reef vacuum ? Thoughts.

Aquattro 02-16-2013 12:53 AM

I don't. I'm not opposed to it, just don't see it as needed. Yet, anyway :) I have a 1" fine sand bed, 3 years old.

Proteus 02-16-2013 01:00 AM

I have a 1/2" gravel bed and do blow it around but it only because I don't have cuc.

Sand stars, conchs, and snail stir up sand so it should be fine. I just don't think I would stir it up past 1"

naesco 02-16-2013 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chef (Post 793573)
Up until recently I thought that disturbing the sand bed was a big no-no.
Then i saw a local reef guru vacuuming and mentioning its very important. Do any of you folks with long term success with a reef vacuum ? Thoughts.

Vacuuming is for carpets. In a reef you want to cause all the bacteria and tiny critters to thrive so they can feed your coral and inverts. You do not want to remove them from a sand bed.

e46er 02-16-2013 02:49 AM

I haven't in 5 or so years that I've had a reef unless I was vacuuming up algae

Son Of Skyline 02-16-2013 06:18 PM

I have a 1/2" to 1" sandbed that I vacuum every couple months when I do a water change. Over the years I've found that this helps get rid of a ton of debris and junk buildup. My sandbed stays "fluffier" and cleaner this way and I never have to worry about unleashing deadly stuff from the sand if i disturb it. I have earthworm like critters that get unearthed when I vacuum but I just let them blow around the tank until they settle and dig themselves back in. IME if your bed is shallow, there's more good to be done by vacuuming than bad. You don't need a sandbed to generate critters. Bare bottom tanks are proof of that.

albert_dao 02-16-2013 09:13 PM

You guys are in denial.

Vacuuming is one of the best weapons you have against old tank syndrome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by naesco (Post 793624)
Vacuuming is for carpets. In a reef you want to cause all the bacteria and tiny critters to thrive so they can feed your coral and inverts. You do not want to remove them from a sand bed.

Critters are a waste of time. You want a clean tank that isn't incrementally becoming more and more sodden with waste and nutrients. No one sets out to spend thousands of $$$ on a life support system for bugs and beasties...

lastlight 02-16-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titus99 (Post 793596)
I have a 1/2" gravel bed and do blow it around but it only because I don't have cuc.

+1

My LPS goes nuts when I vacuum as well. Everything looks better in my tank after a thorough vacuuming.

DiverDude 02-16-2013 09:49 PM

I started a similar thread a few weeks ago and I got just as varied a response.

Seems that about half of all reefers vacuum their sand and attribute all sorts of evil tank problems to failure to do it. The other half think vacuuming is for the maid and have never vacuumed and have never had an issue.

Soooo...flip a coin and decide where you stand. :mrgreen:

chef 02-17-2013 12:25 AM

Flip a coin

Yup, like so many things in this hobby, strong opinions on both sides.
I think i'll go with Alberts advice. He hasn't steered me wrong yet!