Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tank Journal (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Myka's 90 gallon build & 3 province move (Pics Feb 6) (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52501)

banditpowdercoat 05-06-2009 04:14 AM

Look's good. But whats a plunge router gona do that a hammer and a exacto knife wont?? LOL

fishytime 05-06-2009 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by banditpowdercoat (Post 418123)
Look's good. But whats a plunge router gona do that a hammer and a exacto knife wont?? LOL

This coming from someone that works with metal:razz::mrgreen:

banditpowdercoat 05-06-2009 04:31 AM

Ya, I suck at wood too LOL.

Myka 05-06-2009 04:36 AM

HAHAHA! Well, a plunge router would be MUCH more useful if I had a router table! Funny thing is that I used a hammer and chisel in the places where the router wouldn't fit, and although it took a lot more work, it looks just the same!

sphelps 05-06-2009 02:11 PM

Stand looks good, have you considered sealing up the back as well? It'll cut down on noise can keep the wall behind clean.

Myka 05-06-2009 03:22 PM

No, I haven't. There will be a light over the fuge, so my thinking was to keep the back open for heat escape. Keeping the wall clean would be nice though...

So, I'm thinking I will do a small 2-way closed loop on this tank for three reasons; so I can hopefully eliminate most if not all powerheads, T the pump outlet for an easy water change system like superduperwesman did in his nano contest tank, and I can use a 2-way to create a wavebox sort of action I'm hoping. This way I can get away with probably just using one VorTech (later on down the road when I feel rich again), or maybe I will be happy just using a couple Koralia 4's or some such thing. So...any input on how many gph I should run my closed loop? Remember I keep LPS only, although I will add a few SPS to the 90 (I think).

sphelps 05-06-2009 05:31 PM

The 90 is still pretty small for a CL, especially with just LPS corals. One powerhead like a vortech and a half decent return pump would be good. For an LPS tank I wouldn't aim for more than a total of 10x turnover or about 1000gph. Have you considered going the simple route and using a larger return pump like a dart? You could run a herbie overflow to keep noise and bubbles down and eliminate the need for powerheads or a closed loop. It's be much simpler and cleaner. I've setup a few 90s like this and they've all done well for LPS and even some SPS.

Don't under estimate the importance of simplicity. :razz:

sphelps 05-06-2009 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myka (Post 418212)
No, I haven't. There will be a light over the fuge, so my thinking was to keep the back open for heat escape. Keeping the wall clean would be nice though...

If you use a low heat light you'll eliminate the need for venting, I had success using an LED plant light panel for my refugium, only used 14W and basically no heat. Skimmers usually have a tendency to leave a mess behind them and salt creep and water spots aren't the greatest either.

Scythanith 05-06-2009 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphelps (Post 418239)

Don't under estimate the importance of simplicity. :razz:

I get a kick seeing these words come from you haahaa!

sphelps 05-06-2009 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scythanith (Post 418244)
I get a kick seeing these words come from you haahaa!

Just wait until you see my new tank :biggrin: