Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   DIY (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   225 Gallon DIY LED BUILD Tank Shots with New True Violet Modification. (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=73303)

themastr 03-02-2011 02:48 AM

225 Gallon DIY LED BUILD Tank Shots with New True Violet Modification.

Hello,

So I finally saved enough money and got the approval from the wife to build me a DIY LED Fixture. (took about year and a half) biggrin.gif

Specs of the tank
5ft long X 3 ft wide X 2 ft deep approx 225 gallon
Planning to keep SPS & LPS Or whatever I find in the future LOL
Can mount the lights any height no restrictions
So far I bought 4 used heatsinks from Ebay which measures 20"X14"X1.5"

total heatsink is going to be 40" long X 28 wide X 1.5" height" (industrial grade aluminum heatsink which weights in at 60 lbs) Heavy

So far for LED I need the total amount I will need and will place them this week with www.ledgroupbuy.com
Cree XP-G Cool White - 112 (not sure if I need more)
Cree XP-E Royal Blue - 168 (not sure If I need more)
Cree XP-G Neutral White R3 - 28 (Not sure how many????)
Cree XP-E Blue - 24 (Mainly for moonlights with no optics)
All will have a 60 degree optic unless somebody has a better angle to choose.

I am going to go with TRP Drivers but need help choosing them too. I was looking for dimmable (0-10v)
Was looking at the dimmable 200 watt , 700 mA, 143-285 VDC , model TRC-200S070DT.

http://www.thomasresearchproducts.co...es09-06-10.pdf
Will this work or over kill?

I want 90 X Cool White off 1 driver @ 700ma
1 X 84 Royal Blue off 1 driver @ 700ma
1 X 84 Royal Blue off 1 Driver @ 700ma
28 NW + 22 CW off 1 driver @ 700ma (I think this needs to be the 150 W Dimmable)
run all the Blue "(moonlight) off 1 driver @ 700ma (I think this needs to be 75W Dimmable)

i think that will make sense. ??? anyone want to tell me a better way I'm all for it.

Also I can add a fan on the heatsink if need be, I will post a picture of the heatsink

4 X Aluminum Heat Sink
Approximate Dimensions: 20" x 14" x 1 3/8"
43 Dissipating Heat Fins
Some Holes And Indent For Mounting Components
Used
Normal Wear From Normal Use
2 Fins Are Slightly Bent On End
What Is Pictured Is What You Will Receive

So I will put them 2 inch on center away from each other so from 40" X 28" ( i figured 20 LEDs across by 14 LEDs wide) therefor 20 multiply 14 is 280 LEDS I will randomly place the other 24 blue moonlights somehow and add the NW in somewhere with the CW. I will be dimming with either a PLC or an APEX (have ACIII now but no 0-10v dimming)

not sure how much heat heatsink will take but i thought mass plays a factor and the 4 heatsinks weighs in at 60 lbs and that's aluminum. I will also add a huge low rpm fan on the top to cool abit. Also this will be an open top canopy. floating above the tank

I'm am not a Guru or anything but have good soldering skills and took this along time ago in school. Hope someone can help me out. Also let me know if I need more LEDS, Drivers, etc etc. Researched and never found one this big so this is all new to me.
Thanks again and I will keep you posted
erick

Edmonton newbie 03-02-2011 02:54 AM

tagging along i wanna see this through
:lol:

themastr 03-02-2011 02:58 AM

MEEEE TOOO

I sent the heatsink to my brother in the states and it will cost him 230$ to ship it here cause of the weight so i have to wait a month till I get the heatsink. but other than that I can have everything ordered and just build on a long weekend.

hopefully I can get more info and help from everyone

thanks in advance

thanks
erick

eli@fijireefrock.com 03-02-2011 03:15 AM

WoW that is a big setup.
i am placing my order of drivers from TRP in the morning.
they don't carry all drivers on hand so get yourself a list of what you are interested in then call them.
i could easily help you with the drivers but you need to find out the total LED you need.
I am going with XPG and XPE only. powerfull AC fan USA heat sink i believe 8X12 and placing 40 LED on each heatsink.

themastr 03-02-2011 03:31 AM

TRP Drivers

I'm posting on all reef forums for help and hopefully can get a total led amount. not sure if I need more or less but I will be probably getting the 200 watt TRP so I can go bigger on my next tank build. I might overbuild now so when I upgrade I can. LOL

Let me know what the cost for the drivers are? I haven't :=(

thanks
erick

eli@fijireefrock.com 03-02-2011 03:54 AM

if you go with the 200W TRC-200S070DT you could run max of 82 LED in a string with 3.5v forward at a 700ma
for any of the 200w drivers they need aprox 6to 8 weeks for build.

I am driving my LED to the max royal blue at 1050ma and the cool white at 1400ma.(not recommended for everyone though)

themastr 03-02-2011 04:10 AM

WTF!!! 6-8 weeks WOW.

Okay well, I calculated 3.0 volts instead of 3.5volts. That's fine I will use 82 LEDs per string. thanks

Just add the other leds on the other drivers.

But man 6-8 weeks I better order now. !!! Damn good thing I'm in school till end of month. LOL

Yes I would run them at a higher mA rating but I rather have my LEDS last a little longer.
This build is like gonna be about $2500 and it's not even complete yet. OUCH!!!

Did you get a price on the TRP drivers?

let me know

thanks
erick

themastr 03-06-2011 01:42 AM

FINALLY!!! No turning back now! :D

So the order has been placed. Should get it in couple of weeks.
I still need to order my LED drivers. Will call this week.

Your Order Contains:

* 121 x CREE XP-G Cool White (This product is available for pre-order only)
* 24 x CREE XP-E Blue (This product is available for pre-order only)
* 320 x XP-* Optic
(Degree: 60) (This product is available for pre-order only)
* 4 x Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive 5g
* 168 x CREE XP-E Royal Blue (This product is available for pre-order only)
* 32 x CREE XP-G Neutral White R3 (This product is available for pre-order only)

I ordered extra LEDs just incase I go bigger. Or if any burns out I have replacement.

Will keep you guys posted on the progress. In school till end of month so don't expect anything till April sometime.

thanks
erick

Skimmerking 03-06-2011 01:54 AM

well its about time man you did some work. good to hear that you are doing one up.

themastr 03-06-2011 01:58 AM

LOL

I haven't changed bulb in over a 1.5 . It's about time. Also my tank is setup I'm just to lazy to do a write up and take photos. Wait till I get my PLC (programmable logic controller) to do my water changes. Once everything is up and running I will do the write up and take photos. By that time I might be moving back to winnipeg. hahaha

Then to my next big tank project. :D

Stay in touch I'll update when I can

thanks
erick